Feathers missing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PotassiumJunkie, Dec 16, 2018.

1. PotassiumJunkie

PotassiumJunkie In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2018
    Ireland
    I was very excited when my ex-batts grew back there beautiful feathers. But noticed one of them has a few feathers missing now. Does this just happen? Or could it be the other one pecking her? Pic attached

Attached Files:

2. Do you have a rooster? Could be rooster damage.
    If not, it could be a feather picker or feather mites.
    Check the birds closley for mites or lice.
    I figured out my feather picker by flipping over my feed bucket and quietly sitting in the coop and observing for about 20 minutes.
    Feather picking can be a problem caused by boredom or overcrouding. My feather picker came to me with the habit as she was x-producer hen, spent 3 year old. I have pinless peepers on her now.
    Good luck, keep us updated.

chickens really and DobieLover like this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Crowding on the Roost can cause that..

4. PotassiumJunkie

PotassiumJunkie In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2018
    Ireland
    No Rooster, I’m wondering if it’s because they’re spending more time in their run now because of reduced daylight hours, it’s often dark by the time we get home from work. I’m not keen to let them free range unless there’s someone home, as they’re very nifty little escape artists!

Looking into putting up chicken fencing after Christmas though, so they can roam around securely, they’ll have much more room than the run alone.

Checked feathers and skin, all good.

50-45-1 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: