1. Curious new chickey momma

Curious new chickey momma In the Brooder

Feb 5, 2019
    Hi, I noticed yesterday that 1 of my chicks is missing her feathers on her bottom. My 1st thought was someone is nipping at her while she was on the roost. I'm not positive, so wanted to see what you guys thought?
    & will they grow back?
    I appreciate all the help =)

Attached Files:

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Looks like someone is feather picking/plucking her. It's probably the most pristine, perfect looking bird in the flock. Do an on site search on Pin Less Peepers.

3. Curious new chickey momma

Feb 5, 2019
    Thank you. I was just out in the coop inspecting the rest & 2 more have it starting as well.

4. It's also possible that she's just plucking herself, in preparation for becoming broody. Is there an extra large number of loose feathers in one or more of the nest boxes? For that matter, she may be stashing some eggs somewhere, and that would be where the feathers are. Broodies often pluck to be able to have skin contact with the eggs, to help keep them warm. They sometimes go overboard on it. Something to consider.

5. Curious new chickey momma

Feb 5, 2019
    No, there's not feathers laying around anywhere & she is laying a egg daily in the nesting box .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: