feathers missing...

beeksnfeet

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 29, 2012
IL/WI border
We have 3 Buff Orps along with 2 White Plymouth Rocks. All are 20 weeks old. Margo, the largest of Buff's has feathers from the back of her neck missing. There are no mites or fleas on her or the others, When I hold her and pet her she loves it. I tried to look under her feathers and all I can see is that there is a shaft for each feather and very little fluffy stuff on each. They do not look broken or plucked out. She has been this way as long as I can remember. Just a fluke or has anyone else experienced this? Also, is it normal for chickens to loose feathers occasionally? Not to molt, but just to have them laying around the run floor?:/

Do you have a rooster? That sounds an awful lot like a rooster pulling feathers when he grabs a hen's head to mate. They can break them off if the hen pulls away too soon. Otherwise, maybe another of your girls is doing it. Or maybe her feathers just grow that way if she's always been like that. Who knows?

At 20 weeks, they may still be going through their juvenile molt. It is normal for them to lose feathers, as they are growing in their adult plumage.

At 20 weeks, they may still be going through their juvenile molt.  It is normal for them to lose feathers, as they are growing in their adult plumage. 

Thanks for the feed back. I have learned so much from everyone and just when I think I get a handle on things something else pops up! I tried to watch the others around her and so far no one has tried to pull her feathers out. Maybe they are doing it in the coop at night.......guess I'll never know. She is the biggest of the girls and at first I had a feeling she might be a Roo, because of the way she watches the others and lets them go first for treats etc. But after sending in pics, everyone said NO! She is so calm and sweet. And at 20 weeks I'm sure if she was Roo-ish I'd know by now! LOL. Thanks again.:)

Do you have a rooster? That sounds an awful lot like a rooster pulling feathers when he grabs a hen's head to mate. They can break them off if the hen pulls away too soon. Otherwise, maybe another of your girls is doing it. Or maybe her feathers just grow that way if she's always been like that. Who knows?

Nope, no Roo. I guess it is what it is! She is sweet and very attentive to the others so I would hate if one of them was picking on her. I have not seen any one pulling on her feathers. Can't remember how long she has looked like this, but it has been quite a while. It's not really noticable, so I don't think I need to get Rogain for Chickens any time soon. Thanks for your reply!:D

Back
Top Bottom