Feathers not growing back?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nbrandusa, Aug 24, 2016.

1. nbrandusa

nbrandusa Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    Magnolia, TX
    A few months ago I got some older hens from someone (1 Leghorn, 1 Ameraucana & 1 Red sex link) and the Leghorn and Ameraucana had big bald patches which they told me was from molting...but here almost three months later and the feathers still haven't grown back. On the Leghorn it is just her tail feathers and rear end, the Ameraucana it is just a spot right before the tail feathers on her back. They have all been great layers and show no signs of anything being wrong, so what do y'all think? [​IMG]

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Did the person you got them off have a rooster?
    And Welcome to BYC

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  3. nbrandusa

nbrandusa Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    Magnolia, TX
    I don't think so, they had 40+ chickens though...

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

They should grow them all back with the next moult...Sounds like pecking from over crowding or a Rooster breeding issue?

Have no worries they will be fine.

5. cathy d

cathy d Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2015
    high desert Califoria

I also received two chickens that wear horribly dry and bald in spots especially on their backs their tail feathers and it looked like somebody had took scissors and trimmed the feathers. Also the feathers were very dry so I took some tea tree oil and put it on their backs and their feathers and it did help. I also checked them for mites and I didn't find any. The chickens had never seen anything green. I was sure glad to get them out of their situation one chicken was in Americana and I don't know what the other one is but they are adjusting and happy. I've had them for about 3 1/2 weeks and my chickens finally accepted them after about a week. I think they needed some oil maybe some safflower oil or something in their feed but their feathers are starting to grow back slowly this guy had about 40 or 50 chickens and he was unable to care for them so he took the rest of them to an auction and you know I don't know who would buy chickens in the deplorable conditions that these chickens were in. I don't understand but I'm glad to take them out of that condition too bad I couldn't get more I live in the desert and these chickens didn't even have a tree to shade under

6. nbrandusa

nbrandusa Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    Magnolia, TX
    Thank you for the reassurances everyone, I'm just glad to know there isn't anything wrong! I was just surprised I guess since I thought that regardless of why the feathers were missing to begin with I would've thought they would grow back by now...this is my first time keeping chickens though so it's all new to me! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by