1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feathers on chicken's feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by anet701, Feb 17, 2017.

1. anet701

anet701 New Egg

Feb 16, 2017

My hen has large feathers growing on her feet. It is painful for her to walk. I've had to separate her from the other hens. Does anyone know how to treat this? Do I need to remove the feathers? She is an Easter egger hen. I would appreciate any help or suggestion.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Are they on the bottom of her feet or the top? Or maybe the top and curling under her feet?

3. anet701

anet701 New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    They are on the top of her feet. Some are not full feather, just the calamus.

4. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Does the base appear red or inflamed?

5. anet701

anet701 New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    No her feet look fine otherwise.

6. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Have you examined her feet to make sure something else isn't causing the pain then? Normally foot feathers would not make them not want to walk unless they are inflamed/infected or growing to where they are walking on them.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi[​IMG] Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry your hen is having trouble. Perhaps if you posted some photos of her, her legs and feet (the bottom of them too). We can help give better suggestions.

8. anet701

anet701 New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    Thank you! Great suggestion.

9. anet701

anet701 New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Has she been motling? It looks like she has some new feathers coming in on her feet. Some may be broken, it's hard to tell. I'm really not sure if they should be pulled out or not - I don't have feathered feet fowl, so....some people do pluck out ones that have broken, but I would think you would need to be choosy as to which ones.

The bottom of the one foot looks like it may have a scab(?) Or hardened area. You can soak her feet in tub of warm water with some epsom salts to see if this will help with any inflammation. Take a soft brush and gently clean the scab on the bottom of the foot. See if there is a wound there or if it is hardened skin/etc.

If you are keeping her separate or caged, give her some poultry vitamins a couple of times a week and offer some extra protein like egg or tuna -this will hopefully help with feathering.

@SunHwaKwon may have better suggestions.

Let us know how she is doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by