Feathers on legs?

Blackroses126

Chirping
Aug 2, 2021
So we hatched out 7 chicks a few weeks ago. The dad is a pure bred ameraucana. Two of the chicks are also pure bred ameraucana. Others are mixes. Well one of the pure breds starterd developing pretty heavy leg feathers. None of my chickens have feathered legs. Their dad has some but not a lot. Curious if anyone knew why one randomly did.

Last edited:
Americauna or Ameracauna?
Americauna, otherwise know as an Easter Egger, are mixes and could possibly have feathered legs. An Ameracauna is a true breed and should never, ever have feathered legs.
Those chicks just picked up daddy's feather legged gene.

Dad is a blue wheaten Ameraucana Moms are blue. Did not get them from a hatchery but a breeder. Dad is almost 2 and didn't have any feathers on legs till recently and it's mainly one leg and it's very few.

Also, wanted to appolgize that my phone doesn't like the Ameraucana word and kept changing it and it took me disabling the spelling feature to be able to type it with out it changing the word.

Last edited:
I can't find a good picture of his feet before. But as of May he had zero feathers on his feet. This is about what the chick looks like too.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 6
That is so strange, maybe the breeder had a hiccup with their program. If it was just daddy, it could be hormones but since it's also the chick....
Is it possible for the chick to be a male and also have hormones at this age? They're a month old? Idk it's just weird to me also.

That is so strange, maybe the breeder had a hiccup with their program. If it was just daddy, it could be hormones but since it's also the chick....
The only other thing I can think of is its not his kid. Lol. We have a clean legged question of mix rooster as well but he's really young and doesn't mingle with the Ameraucanas. But something could have possibly happened when we weren't home. Lol

Back
Top Bottom