Feathers On the legs bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StrawberryHouseMouse, Oct 13, 2009.

1. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I seem to have a problem with some of my feather legged birds. I noticed today that one of my Sultans had some blood on its leg, I picked him up to look at it and some of his feathers on his legs was broke off and bleeding. I dont know what could have caused this, he is allowed to free roam the yard where it is grassy in most parts. So what could have caused all the breakage of his feathers?

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

I had the same problem with one of my silkie chicks. I wiped it up and gave it a wash and dried it up and the bleeding stopped. I hope it stops bleeding [​IMG]

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I wish it was as simple as that. The bleeding will stop for a little while . Its not too heavy. But the feathers are still really messed up and I dont know why.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Are the legs and feet themselves swollen and/or red? Several of us are having a problem with our feather footed roos legs and feet.

5. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    On some chickens the legs have sort of like a swollen feather opening, but most of the chickens its h ard to see if the legs are red cause the chickens have dark blue legs. I will try to get some photos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by