feathers one side of neck missing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by grandmas Nest, Nov 14, 2010.

1. grandmas Nest

grandmas Nest Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Newcastle, Wy
    I have cinnamon queen hen that when I got her a month ago was missing some feathers on her neck, just on one side from the under her waddle to part way up the side of her neck. It does not seem like she has lost anymore but now when I go out at night to close up coop she shakes her head. I looked for lice but can't see any and none of the other hens have it. The coop was just built so wouldn't have been in it. The hens are around seven moths old. And she is still laying everyday and no other problems. Any ideas? I can try to take a picture in the morning. No open sores at all.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Hmm, not sure. I wonder if maybe she will stay bare there til her next molt. Maybe the area is actually a scar and the feather growing tissue is no longer there.

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I am battling scaly leg mites on some rescue chickens and realized today that the one who had missing feathers on her head and very red skin actually had mites there. You can't see them but I read online today that the mites do get on them there sometimes. Yuck! I oiled her head along with her feet.
    sharon

4. grandmas Nest

Sep 21, 2010
    Newcastle, Wy
    What did you oil her with? I did put some DE on her. I'll post a picture here tomorrow.

5. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Mineral oil. It doesn't matter what kind. It just has to smother the mites.
    [​IMG]
    here is her head before I knew she had mites so it is not as close as I would like
    ETA the other side is more naked and when I rubbed the oil on it more came off

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  6. grandmas Nest

Sep 21, 2010
    Newcastle, Wy
    Okay heres the best pictures I could get. Its just on the one side I did dust her with DE. Should I rub her neck with mineral oil also?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't you think that might be from an amorous rooster in her previous home? I've had many hens with feather loss around their head and necks as an outcome of being the roo's 'favorite'. Or it could be scarring from some other injury so that new feathers won't grow in. If mites aren't a possibility and you don't SEE any lice or nits with a careful examination, I don't think I'd start putting random substances on there - sometimes does more harm than good. Lice stay on the chicken, but most mites live in the environment in cracks and crannies and get on the chicken at night, but you can see them, too, if you look closely at the right time. But if you have a brand new coop, doesn't seem likely.

8. grandmas Nest

Sep 21, 2010
    Newcastle, Wy
    She is the only one out of ten this way. I can't see anything on her. Its just that she is starting to shake her head more often than she did. Thats why I was wondering mites or lice? I do have DE in the shavings in their coop. Put it there when I first put shavings down. And once when I added more shavings to floor. Guess since I put some DE on her I'll see if it makes a difference. Unless she starts acting different, like there is something else wrong. Thanks

9. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You can't see scaly leg mites. They are microscopic. I can't imagine that she would have mites there and no where else, but putting mineral oil or vegetable oil on it is not going to hurt it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by