Feathers? When?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by oldhenlikesdogs, Jun 14, 2019.

1. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Got my Puppy

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My goslings are nearly 3 weeks. They double in size every time I turn my back, but still not a single feather growing anywhere. It's possible a few are started on the wings, but mostly they are still running around in their gosling down onesy.

When do feathers come in? Do I need to continue to provide heat until they do? They don't seem to ever be cold. They don't really sit under the lamp. I have 3 American buff. I'm curious when they can go out to the big shed. I figure another few weeks when they have feathers, but is that gonna ever happen? Boy they are getting big and poopy, so moving them to a shed pen where I can start letting them range more will be nice, and easier on me.

They also run in terror and act like I'm gonna kill them until I give them a handful of greens, than they are fine until those greens are gone. They are silly critters. :)

N ID Goose mom likes this.
  2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Around 6-8 weeks or so they'll start feathering on the head and neck first. This time of year I'd say as long as its above 60 degree at night they should be ok with out a heat lamp after 5 weeks of age.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Thank you. I had no idea they stayed naked so long. :)

4. N ID Goose mom

N ID Goose mom Songster

Apr 18, 2019
    North Idaho
    I second the poop and mine are only 10 days old.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It just keeps coming. :)

6. N ID Goose mom

N ID Goose mom Songster

Apr 18, 2019
    North Idaho
    :yuckyuck
    3-4 weeks can’t come soon enough but if it wasn’t for the poop they could stay in for ever. They make the cutest peeps.

7. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Ah yes. Now I remember why I don't have geese. But boy, they are the cutest things! I like that visual, "down onesies!"
    :lau

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They do talk to me a lot. It takes me about 30 seconds to herd them into a 5 gallon pail and take them outside. They get that bucket coated in poop instantly. I also have to clean my brooder daily. I am happy I only have three. This is from earlier in the week. They are much bigger already.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  9. N ID Goose mom

N ID Goose mom Songster

Apr 18, 2019
    North Idaho
    They are so cute. :love

10. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Thanks. I gotta let more fence out too on that outside fence. We just went from a smaller kiddie pool for a brooder to a large pool. It won't hold them long at their current rate of growth.

I keep turkeys, they grow slower than these big squishy babies. I am just amazed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: