Feathers with beak impressions?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by azahn, Jul 3, 2016.

1. azahn

azahn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2012
    Northeast Texas
    [​IMG]
    Two of my plump, Speckled Sussex hens have been attacked in the past 4 days. I haven't found hen #2, that went missing yesterday at dusk only 30 mins after I let them out to free range. In looking for her, I found the feathers from Wednesday afternoon's attack on hen #1. No carcass, no bones, just a circular area of cleanly plucked feathers approx 60 feet from coop in border of yard with taller grass. Have had Coopers hawks problems before, but never with larger hens, only bantams. Ran across a university paper regarding predators and sometimes the feathers will leave clues, like the impression of a hawk beak (?). I'm 70% sure hawk, but seriously wondering fox. An[​IMG]
    y of you feather experts have an opinion? I can't make anything out, but these 3 SEEM to have a definite crushed spot unlike the others. Thanks ahead of time. Sniff![​IMG]

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Keep everyone locked in until this is resolved, or you will keep loosing birds. If it's a hawk, two weeks of no chicken dinners will probably discourage it so it moves on. Setting up live traps may get your ground predator. I've never used a game camera, but it's a great idea too. Mary

3. azahn

azahn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2012
    Northeast Texas
    Mary, sorry for the tardy reply. Bobcat was the problem.

4. Flock In Texas

Flock In Texas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2016
    Texas

We have a bobcat in our neighborhood too. It ran off with a neighbor's chicken around 5pm last Thursday. Their neighbor saw the cat with the chicken in it's mouth. I saw it the night before and warned everybody on Nextdoor, but she didn't check it until after the attack.

I think I will invest in a trap when I complete the coop.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Electrified poultry fencing is a very good idea here! Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by