Feathers won’t grow back after molt

SandJ

Hatching
Sep 17, 2022
Our black australorp has been without her neck feathers for almost 6 months now. At the end of winter/beginning of spring it just seemed like she was molting. But she’s had a bald neck and rough looking back for the whole summer now. Sometimes it looks like feathers are growing in, but she hasn’t made any gains. I’m pretty sure she’s at the bottom of the pecking order, but I never see her getting bullied too hard.
We have a total of 4 hens, and they have a good amount of space. I’m worried that she won’t last the MN winter if she goes into it this bald.
I’ve uploaded a photo of what she looked like last year compared to now. When I’ve called local vets to ask questions they’ve basically advised patience, but I’m doubting that now. She’s been steadily laying, eating, and running around the yard with her buddies but I’m still worried. Thanks very much for any help or advice!
4673A7EF-7C31-43D5-8C14-F39C8CBFE1EA.jpeg
BF17FEEA-37E9-4DF8-A124-3F6B818BB778.jpeg

:welcome She's being feather pecked/plucked probably by one of her flock mates. It looks as if the Wyandotte is also being pecked but not as badly.
Thank you. When we’ve tried separating her she got really distressed, so perhaps we should try a spray that discourages pecking? If you have advice on a good brand I’d very much appreciate it.

Is the Blue Coat too extreme? My Plymouth Rock is bald from the back of her comb about an inch for the same amount of time? I'm like you and keep hoping it grows back.
[/QUO
It would be a good idea to discourage the pecking, which could show if it's another cause. You won't always see mites, and they often cause hens to pick their own feathers.

You might give her a mite prevention soak for good measure, then apply a light coat of an Anti-Peck solution to her neck and back. It will look icky at first - but works well.

The worst bullying in my hens is as they go to roost and jockey for their favorite spots. I've tried a few things to deter it - like re-do the roost bars - but it still goes on.

As of all the chickens pictured in your photo above, only the buff Orpington in the front does not have any feather damage, I suspect her to be the culprit and would separate her from the rest.

ETA: What exactly are you feeding them? Protein percentage?
And how bis are coop and run?
We have a salmon faverolle too, and she’s in good shape, so I think it could be both of them that are picking in the other two. Our combined coop/run is about 10x6, but it opens up to another run that adds more space. They also get free reign of the backyard for the second half of each day.

Attachments

• 276152F8-7C13-4402-9DCB-9607B827B7FF.jpeg
    276152F8-7C13-4402-9DCB-9607B827B7FF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • BC3FD829-51CA-46F7-90DD-271F054E4305.jpeg
    BC3FD829-51CA-46F7-90DD-271F054E4305.jpeg
    851.8 KB · Views: 11
We have a salmon faverolle too, and she’s in good shape, so I think it could be both of them that are picking in the other two. Our combined coop/run is about 10x6, but it opens up to another run that adds more space. They also get free reign of the backyard for the second half of each day.
Oh, sorry, and we’re feeding them an organic feed blend that we get from a local chicken/garden store. They also get the occasional bowl of greens, apple or squash on a stick, and handful of mealworms.

As of all the chickens pictured in your photo above, only the buff Orpington in the front does not have any feather damage, I suspect her to be the culprit and would separate her from the rest.

This.

The ones who have no damage are probably the culprits. Some people use pinless peepers.

we’re feeding them an organic feed blend that we get from a local chicken/garden store.

What is the protein percentage?

@U_Stormcrow is better at this than I am, but many organic feeds are deficient in either overall proteins or particular amino acids because they're difficult to obtain from organic sources.

Also, how big, in feet or meters, is your coop and your run? And how many chickens do you have total? It's not inevitable that crowding will cause social problems, but it's very often a contributing factor when social problems exist. :)

Back
Top Bottom