Feb 10th it becomes illegal to sell children’s used clothing and toys

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by pdsavage, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I think this is absolutely absurd!

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Wow.
    Had not heard of this.
    The trouble in 2009 just won't quit, will it.

3. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    WASHINGTON, D.C. - In February 2009, new requirements of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) take effect. Manufacturers, importers and retailers are expected to comply with the new Congressionally-mandated laws. Beginning February 10, 2009, children’s products cannot be sold if they contain more than 600 parts per million (ppm) total lead. Certain children’s products manufactured on or after February 10, 2009 cannot be sold if they contain more than 0.1% of certain specific phthalates or if they fail to meet new mandatory standards for toys.

Under the new law, children’s products with more than 600 ppm total lead cannot lawfully be sold in the United States on or after February 10, 2009, even if they were manufactured before that date. The total lead limit drops to 300 ppm on August 14, 2009.

The new law requires that domestic manufacturers and importers certify that children’s products made after February 10 meet all the new safety standards and the lead ban. Sellers of used children’s products, such as thrift stores and consignment stores, are not required to certify that those products meet the new lead limits, phthalates standard or new toy standards.

The new safety law does not require resellers to test children’s products in inventory for compliance with the lead limit before they are sold. However, resellers cannot sell children’s products that exceed the lead limit and therefore should avoid products that are likely to have lead content, unless they have testing or other information to indicate the products being sold have less than the new limit. Those resellers that do sell products in violation of the new limits could face civil and/or criminal penalties.

I added the bolding to clarify the law. There is all kinds of language about what is "likely" to be an issue and clothes are not really it.

Edited to add: It's been law for almost a year now. If it was going to have the huge impact implied you'd know it by now.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  4. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

So - let me get this straight....

if we have a yard sale and have kids toys in it.... we can get into trouble and fined.. is that correct?

Oh brother.... [​IMG]

And how exactly would the freaking CPSIA like for us to test for lead in any of our items...??

Here's a novel idea - STOP IMPORTING CRAP FROM CHINA and start making it in the USA again and we wouldnt have this problem to begin with!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
  6. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?????

7. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    That's my understanding - no more yard sales or "yard sale fundraisers". This had good intentions... but someone wasn't thinking it through. There should be a general warning put out to the consumer with percentages of how many older toys may contain lead. I think you are going to see a lot of resale shops stop taking toys anyway. They know it's a matter of time before someone gets nutty and sues them because they didn't have the toys tested.... exempt from the law or not. People out there are crazy enough to do such things. I never even would have considered lead in clothing!

8. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

hmmm...

you know - I grew up in the 70's - never had a car seat.. house was covered in lead based paint - we drank out of a garden hose, ate raw cake batter and cookie dough, raw hot dogs too -

I dont know about all of this. I mean.. I can understand the melamie thing, and yes, I realize there is lead paint issues and poisoning but do you know how MUCH lead you'd have to ingest to GET lead poisoning?! All my life I've lived in houses with lead paint, my kids have known not to "chew on the window sills" [​IMG] and toys dont go in their mouths - I never purchased toys that paint could come off of either.

We just purchased this 148 yo house Aug 2007 and I gotta tell ya - it lit up like a Christmas tree for lead paint everywhere - but.... we all got lead tested prior to moving here and since - and there isnt any "abnormal levels" in our blood.

I often wonder if this is just another gov't "control" issue. I do agree we should not be importing toys with excessive amounts of anything in them - but... even OUR OWN gov't allows certain amounts of toxic levels in things we purchase and consume [​IMG]

I dunno.. JMO.

9. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    Quote:You were very lucky to get away without any issues! There was a young girl several years back that died from injesting a lead trinket from a gumball machine! I don't think the USA as a leading industrialized country should be following CHINA'S lead! Their example of manufacturing oversite is criminal!

Yes we ate a lot of things we wouldn't nowadays and did other stupid things but how many thalamide babies were there? How many lives were ruined for things we took for granted but should have stopped. Remember DDT and all the damage it did to the environment? If we didn't have people like Rachel Carson and Aldo Leopold we would be living in a awful, indeed "Silent Spring" world.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by