February 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics

Silverwulfess

Songster
Jan 3, 2022
New Zealand
Who's with me?

I know most of you on the site it will be a not so great season to do it. For me, it is Summer, and likely my last hatch till Spring, all going well.

All mine are shipped. Here's what I was shipped:

12 mille fleur Pekin Bantams (unfortunately four cracked, so 8 into the 'bator)
12 mixed colours Silkies (Was told the flock has black, white, gold, splash, blue, paint and lavender, lucky dip)
14 buff/partridge Silkies
6 Polish
6 Araucana (1 had a small hole, as per photos, trying to patch up with nail polish)

Will candle on day 7, maybe 10 if there's a few maybes in there or need to check on sealed one some more, and 17 and update with results then!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    318.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    379.1 KB · Views: 11
I’m out til April/May! It was -4 here yesterday! 😳

Following, though!
Brrr, our coldest ever recorded temperature was only 0 degrees here in like 2015. I would die! Our average Winter temp is only like 8 degrees or something! We've got the opposite issue at the moment, I was worried the eggs might get a bit warm in transit, but will see how we go.

Nice mix of eggs!
I may have some more Silkie eggs for a February hatch. I am collecting right now.
I have some brewing in the incubator right now on the January hatch a-long.🥰
They are from my paint cockerel and different colored girls, so chicks will be mostly black and paint.
I will jump in once I know they are developing!
It is Winter here, but I am in Hawaii (at 2700 ft elevation). We do have colder nights, lows in the 50s F and daytime temps in the 70-80sF. We do not have heat or air conditioning so I do have to wrap a towel around the base of the incubator at night. We do have snow though on Mauna Kea right now. View from my window.😊
BD8459F3-60F5-45B7-B8DF-2F08C3C359E9.jpeg

Nice mix of eggs!
I may have some more Silkie eggs for a February hatch. I am collecting right now.
I have some brewing in the incubator right now on the January hatch a-long.🥰
They are from my paint cockerel and different colored girls, so chicks will be mostly black and paint.
I will jump in once I know they are developing!
It is Winter here, but I am in Hawaii (at 2700 ft elevation). We do have colder nights, lows in the 50s F and daytime temps in the 70-80sF. We do not have heat or air conditioning so I do have to wrap a towel around the base of the incubator at night. We do have snow though on Mauna Kea right now. View from my window.😊View attachment 2958574
That view is amazing! We don't get snow here. We'd have to drive about 7 hours or so to get near the mountains where there is snow.

I look forward to more Silkies being born. Maybe this thread will end up being mostly Silkies! Haha

We don't have heat or air con either, that's why I'm cautious about leaving eggs to sit too long after being shipped here and have the poly box left on the incubator. We are on solar power, so heat/air con would be definitely luxuries! Fortunately it's probably better for the heat for the incubator rather than the cold. I don't think I'll try during winter, even though average temp is only about eight degrees, because I have a cheap incubator.

The mountain looks close from my view, but it is almost 2 hours drive to the top from here, last part requiring a 4 wheel drive lifted truck. It is 13,803 feet (4,207 meters) and VERY cold. Rather go to the beach which is 25 minutes away.😊

Can't wait to see all the Silkie babies (and other cute chicks of course).
Here is a photo of some of mine from November, just for the cuteness!🥰
3DD511D5-4C68-4386-8CF8-C0E1A3C3CE6D.jpeg

The mountain looks close from my view, but it is almost 2 hours drive to the top from here, last part requiring a 4 wheel drive lifted truck. It is 13,803 feet (4,207 meters) and VERY cold. Rather go to the beach which is 25 minutes away.😊

Can't wait to see all the Silkie babies (and other cute chicks of course).
Here is a photo of some of mine from November, just for the cuteness!🥰View attachment 2958605
SO FLUFFY. Man, they are so stinking cute.

I only got a singleton from my last hatch, who also needed her legs hobbled. She's Araucana (the British variety lol). We've called her Solo. I'm only guessing girl because of wing feather sexing, but who knows what she is!
1.JPG

2.JPG

Who's with me?

I know most of you on the site it will be a not so great season to do it. For me, it is Summer, and likely my last hatch till Spring, all going well.

All mine are shipped. Here's what I was shipped:

12 mille fleur Pekin Bantams (unfortunately four cracked, so 8 into the 'bator)
12 mixed colours Silkies (Was told the flock has black, white, gold, splash, blue, paint and lavender, lucky dip)
14 buff/partridge Silkies
6 Polish
6 Araucana (1 had a small hole, as per photos, trying to patch up with nail polish)

Will candle on day 7, maybe 10 if there's a few maybes in there or need to check on sealed one some more, and 17 and update with results then!
Hi fellow NZ'der :frow

I will be hatching .... im always hatching :wee

Back
Top Bottom