February Hatch-A-Long

Pics

paintedChix

Crowing
9 Years
Dec 15, 2013
NC
Well, since no one else seemed to make one, I decided to. I'm not sure I'm really the "right" person to do so, since so far, I seem to be doing so many things the "wrong" way.

But my new incubator arrived and I've set 36 eggs for a February 11 expected hatch date.

So why do I think I might be doing things so wrong? WELP. First, it turns out I purchased a still air instead of the forced air, incubator I was wanting (how DID i miss that?). Then second, it has a wafer thermostat, which I've been told since I purchased it, are the most unreliable ones.... Hmmm... Third, it didn't even have any way to measure for humidity - "no worries", I've been told - just order hygrometer and put it in there. (I have - though not one of the ones I was recommended to, yet). And fourth - I didn't candle or weigh the eggs when I started.

You may be asking why I didn't candle or weigh the eggs - well - a couple of reasons. 1 - I didn't have a candler when I got the incubator and when I appeared to have gotten the temps stable, I went ahead and put in the egg turner and the eggs. 2 - I didn't weight them either as my scale is large enough to weigh mature birds and rabbits but doesn't go quite small enough to measure a single egg. SO. I've sweated and I was worried. I did get a separate thermometer and a hygrometer - the kinds meant for reptile cages, but they appear, for now to be working. 3 - I had the collected the first eggs a week earlier and decided it was either just go ahead and start incubating or scrap them, wait till this cold spell clears out and collect new ones. I decided to just start.

It either works or it doesn't. Speaking with two breeders whom I've gotten chicks from - 1 started the exact same way I did and is now using cabinet incubators and selling almost commercially - a lot of birds. So I relaxed after discussing things with him. Then, speaking with the 2nd breeder - she also started with minimal input - also now using a cabinet incubator and should be getting a separate, larger hatcher. In fact - her comment was "why would you want to take a chance on dropping or otherwise "injuring" your eggs by candling throughout the incubation process? I've had lots of luck, no real issues (except one when we had a power spike during a storm and my eggs all actually exploded in the incubator - that was nasty!!)..." - again, I took a deep breath and decided this first time - that's just what I'll do - leave them alone. I'll get what I get. These are first time pullet eggs - all the birds literally JUST started laying in December, so...

According to the thermometers, the temps are holding nicely at just under 100*. The humidity is probably higher than I should have had it (around 47%) - he said I probably should have started with 0 water in my incubator and then put water in for the actual hatch during lockdown. O, well. After checking the humidity again this afternoon, I may drain water out of that first tray (not sure how, though w/o a major temp drop...).

I got the Hovabator 1602n and have the egg turner in it. I did find an electronic thermostat and a fan that will fit in this and will upgrade it when this hatch is over and before doing the next one. Already thinking seriously about getting another incubator and could see easily running more than that (OMG - is there something wrong with me? I already have LOTS of chickens - do I REALLY need that many more?).

20190121_224747.jpg 20190121_224812.jpg

** edited to add** - OOPS, was going to add tags. I don't think I've ever started my own thread before... I don't see how to add tags after the thread is set up.

We hatched many chicks in an incubator similar to your in appearance. We also had many disappointments. Now we use broody hens. We have two hens with chicks at this time and one serama to hatch around the 6th. I believe in candling. With the incubator it eliminated exploding eggs and waiting for nothing. Proper candling does not hurt the eggs. I candle those eggs under the broodies too. First removing bad eggs gives more space for the good ones. Secondly I don't want my hens to brood for weeks for nothing.

At the moment I'm hoping my turkeys start laying soon. I'd rather have my bigger hens hatch poults at this time of year.

I'll cross my fingers your eggs hatch..mine too.

Well, since no one else seemed to make one, I decided to. I'm not sure I'm really the "right" person to do so, since so far, I seem to be doing so many things the "wrong" way.

But my new incubator arrived and I've set 36 eggs for a February 11 expected hatch date.

So why do I think I might be doing things so wrong? WELP. First, it turns out I purchased a still air instead of the forced air, incubator I was wanting (how DID i miss that?). Then second, it has a wafer thermostat, which I've been told since I purchased it, are the most unreliable ones.... Hmmm... Third, it didn't even have any way to measure for humidity - "no worries", I've been told - just order hygrometer and put it in there. (I have - though not one of the ones I was recommended to, yet). And fourth - I didn't candle or weigh the eggs when I started.

You may be asking why I didn't candle or weigh the eggs - well - a couple of reasons. 1 - I didn't have a candler when I got the incubator and when I appeared to have gotten the temps stable, I went ahead and put in the egg turner and the eggs. 2 - I didn't weight them either as my scale is large enough to weigh mature birds and rabbits but doesn't go quite small enough to measure a single egg. SO. I've sweated and I was worried. I did get a separate thermometer and a hygrometer - the kinds meant for reptile cages, but they appear, for now to be working. 3 - I had the collected the first eggs a week earlier and decided it was either just go ahead and start incubating or scrap them, wait till this cold spell clears out and collect new ones. I decided to just start.

It either works or it doesn't. Speaking with two breeders whom I've gotten chicks from - 1 started the exact same way I did and is now using cabinet incubators and selling almost commercially - a lot of birds. So I relaxed after discussing things with him. Then, speaking with the 2nd breeder - she also started with minimal input - also now using a cabinet incubator and should be getting a separate, larger hatcher. In fact - her comment was "why would you want to take a chance on dropping or otherwise "injuring" your eggs by candling throughout the incubation process? I've had lots of luck, no real issues (except one when we had a power spike during a storm and my eggs all actually exploded in the incubator - that was nasty!!)..." - again, I took a deep breath and decided this first time - that's just what I'll do - leave them alone. I'll get what I get. These are first time pullet eggs - all the birds literally JUST started laying in December, so...

According to the thermometers, the temps are holding nicely at just under 100*. The humidity is probably higher than I should have had it (around 47%) - he said I probably should have started with 0 water in my incubator and then put water in for the actual hatch during lockdown. O, well. After checking the humidity again this afternoon, I may drain water out of that first tray (not sure how, though w/o a major temp drop...).

I got the Hovabator 1602n and have the egg turner in it. I did find an electronic thermostat and a fan that will fit in this and will upgrade it when this hatch is over and before doing the next one. Already thinking seriously about getting another incubator and could see easily running more than that (OMG - is there something wrong with me? I already have LOTS of chickens - do I REALLY need that many more?).

View attachment 1652914 View attachment 1652915

** edited to add** - OOPS, was going to add tags. I don't think I've ever started my own thread before... I don't see how to add tags after the thread is set up.

Well I had a big long reply to you typed out and now it’s gone. If I get time after dinner I will try to re-type it. Don’t sweat the wafer, millions of chicks have been hatched over it. I would trust it way more than the cheap electronic controller you’ll get for it. Fan kit, absolutely after this hatch.

Now I have a question for those of you that incubate birds.

Do you find that the birds you incubate/hatch at this time of the year take as long to start/reach point of lay as birds you incubate/hatch in march/april/may (of the same breed)?

I just ask as a some of the breeds that I have now were hatched in January and February of 2018. They hit POL (only some, not all) in December/January. The two different breeders I've gotten birds from kept their own stock from later hatches (both stated April/May) and both have stated that their's hit POL at the same time as mine... The one breeder went on to state that he's noticed this with most of the breeds he has, but not all. The other breeder didn't answer to that one yet.

I have 2 Bielefelder pullets that were hatched in June - don't look any where near ready to start laying. My other Bielefelders were hatched in March and now all 4 appear to be laying. Though one started about 3 weeks before the other 3.

Our blue Australorps were hatched in May (stock from Privett Hatchery) and as of today - I still have only 1 in the pen of 5 and about 3 (& could be only 2) in the pen of 6 that have started laying. The good thing is that I'm incubating the eggs from the earliest layers right now (so hopefully any pullets will also lay earlier).

It just makes me curious. The one breeder stated that he'd recommend I wait to do the next hatch until March. I'll have better quality birds, with shorter feeding times, getting to POL sooner...

I have the same incubator with the fan kit. I think for still air the temp is supposed to be 101. I am setting eggs tonight, they are shipped eggs with messed up air cells. I am not expecting much this round, but it's always a fun process.
101 at the top of the eggs. Shipped eggs are a risk but fun it is. Sometimes I have had good luck and sometimes not.

I have 12 EEs, and 12 silkie/frizzle in now. I have them sitting upright in a carton, I will probably start turning the SFs tomorrow. The EEs had such messed up air cells, I am going to leave them alone a couple of days and just hope for the best:fl:fl:fl. Right now I am trying to get the temperature stable, I am playing the "it's too high" "it's too low" game.

View attachment 1652914 View attachment 1652915

I don't think you need to worry about anything too much. I have been hatching eggs for many years and haven't done many of those things you mention. Never have I actually checked the humidity, and I always start with water in the tray. My incubator doesn't have a fan either and uses a heating wafer. Also, I don't understand how candling the eggs could help before putting them in the incubator because you can't see anything until they have been incubated for a couple of days(of course I could have simply misinterpreted what you said). Despite all of this, we have had great hatch rates, so good luck with hatching.

Back
Top Bottom