February too early?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by beakkeeper, Jan 1, 2009.

1. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    I am wanting to order chicks the minute they are available from MPC. Their ship date would be Feb. 23. The reasons I want to receive chicks at this time is a/ I'm on break from school that week and b/ the breeds I want, I am told, sell out fast.

My question is, is this date too early? I live in MN, and last year we had snow on Easter and into late April. I can keep the birds in the basement for 6 weeks, then the garage for a few weeks, then if necessary, in the coop with a heating element of some sort. Will they be OK, or should I wait for spring break to order?

(I'm sure you can guess what i want you to say--the earlier the better [​IMG] )

2. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I want to do the same thing. I think I going to order them and keep them in the house for awhile. I live in NH so i have some of the same issues with snow you do. I want to get them early so they will be laying by summer so i think I am going to just go ahead and order them. Anyway thats what I am going to do i hope it helped

3. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    Hi,
    I live in Minnesota too. I would wait until spring because that is what I am doing. I think that I am going to get chickens in April. Well thats what I would do. Hope that helps.

CFC

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Where in NH are you ?? What breed are you looking for ?

5. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I live close to manchester about 15 min outside in Bedford and I am looking for Barred Rocks. Where are you in nh

6. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Ooooooh! I'd wait. Chicken smell in the house is not for the faint of heart. I had 30 5-week olds in my basement in a closed off area - with an air cleaner machine, no less. Cleaned the brooder daily. The smell was just yucky. I live in Michigan, got my chicks in early May & felt awful putting them outside in June. Remember, we Northerners can have 40-50 degree nights all Spring. Also, it is sooo cute to take some 5 or 6 week olds out to explore the grass. You won't have warm enough weather for that.

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:I will PM you.... I have a whole flock of BR's

8. im a new farmer and i know i have my eggs aready and i live in north california and there living inside though but i dont know if i have to put them outside when the hatch(after there first week)[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Sidney, Lived in ur beautiful state 30 years. and
    No... I would keep them in, at least for the first 3 weeks.
    I use a large cardboard box to keep them in
    easy to toss after use.
    no muss, less fuss.
    welcome to BYC

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    If you have a way to keep them warm until they can go outside, and don't mind the risk of them getting too cold during shipping, then go for it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by