Fecal came back clean- Do I still treat for Cocci?? HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckcluck42, Dec 21, 2010.

1. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Okay- I lost a 6 month old pullet a month ago. She had been keeping to herself somewhat but no other symptoms (not puffed up or anything). I found her dead in the coop one morning. Weight was good, she wasnt skinny, and no physical signs of illness besides keeping to herself. I hang out with the chickens every day and have never seen a bloody poop except when I first got them in the summer (cleared up within a week, assumed it was the stress of moving). Now I have a pullet from the same litter who is now 7 months and has the same symptom. I immediately brought her in the house when I caught her hanging out in a corner and after much difficulty found a vet 1 hour away who would do a fecal for 12 bucks. I also bought a liter of Amprolium for 33$ bucks. I literally spent every last penny we had on the test and medication, we had no money left after Christmas shopping, well now we actually have zero. lol.

I just got the results back and they did not find worms or cocci. From what I have read cocci can shed at different times and not be found in a single test... So should I medicate them all even though she is the only one that has symptoms?? Or should I keep her inside and just give her the meds?

I also noticed a 6 week old chick that I recently bought and who is on medicated feed mixed with grower standing by itself acting strange. I cannot get to it until hubby gets home to help me but it looks like it is moving its butt as if to poop over and over. Since they recently moved and might be stressed, it could be cocci. Should I treat all of those chicks as well??

Should I medicate the whole flock, or just target the ones that are ill? Should I deworm first or cocci first or both at the same time? Well- actually- I dont have dewormer nor any money to buy it so I guess the dewormer is out. Besides wouldn't worms have showed up in the fecal?? I asked her and she said there was no worms but to go ahead and deworm them. That doesnt sound reasonable to me, advice?

Another issue is we are going to be gone boxing day and that would be day 5 of the medication if I went out right now to give them the cocci stuff. I could possibly get someone to give them the meds OR should i just wait until after the holidays?? I think maybe I will even stay home and miss our family gathering, I have a lot of valuable birds and it would break my heart to lose any of them.

*sigh* what to do, what to do. Any ideas are welcome. I am so confused.

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    If the older ones have been at your house their whole lives, it is unlikely that cocci is their problem. I don't have any advice to give you about worming. I have never wormed my chickens.

As to the little ones....the normal "incubation" period for cocci is about 2-4 weeks from the time that they first are exposed to your soil. That's when there's usually a break-out. After that, they develop resistance to the strains of cocci in your soil.

If you think the little ones are having a cocci outbreak, i would medicate all the chicks that are that same age. And if it really is cocci, you should always medicate immediately. Waiting until after the holidays is not smart. I would also get a better look at that chick before medicating. It might be something altogether different, like an injury or something.

3. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    The six week old ended up having a prolapsed vent. It was terrible. I made a thread about it. So it was definitely not cocci, which is good I guess. I've decided to medicate the hen that is in the house and not the entire flock since no one seems sick. The hen doesn't even seem sick anymore but I don't want to take a chance. Thanks for your response [​IMG] Merry Christmas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by