Fed my chicks Avocado...now I read it's poisonous! What do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KnightNic, Nov 5, 2011.

  1. KnightNic

    KnightNic Out Of The Brooder

    26
    0
    32
    Sep 9, 2011
    I have been feeding my 9 week old chicks avocado (it's in season and we're overrun with them) and they seemed to love it. Now, today, I've been told it's actually poisonous!

    Do I need to do anything?

    They seem OK.

    One young roo seemed a bit lethargic yesterday, but I assumed it was just feeling sorry for itself after a beating from the top rooster (he had a bit of his comb ripped, poor thing).

    All are eating and drinking. .... The sad roo is eating when the others are away from the food bowl, and doesn't seem overly enthusiastic about it.

    Help??
     
  2. jadeybaby70

    jadeybaby70 Out Of The Brooder

    87
    2
    41
    Jul 10, 2009
    Alameda
    I think that the pits and skin are the most dangerous part as they contain the most toxin to chickens. As long as they haven't eaten either, I would think they should be alright. Just monitor them closely for the next 24hrs. You can try giving them activated charcoal if you are really worried still. It absorbs everything and will help to keep their bodies from absorbing the toxin but it must be given soon after ingesting the avocado. I am wondering, have you been giving it to them constantly; I mean more than once? I would say, if they've had it before and showed no signs of poisoning, you shouldn't worry too much. Just refrain from giving it again. Good luck, hope all is well in the end!!!
     
  3. KnightNic

    KnightNic Out Of The Brooder

    26
    0
    32
    Sep 9, 2011
    I gave it to them earlier in the week and last week over the course of a few days. The ate maybe 3 or 4 of them between the 6 chicks.

    The didn't seem to eat the pit but the skin was a bit torn...but I don't know if they ate it or were just playing (they're not good at eating anything that requires any effort, still learning to rip stuff).

    Scary! I feel awful [​IMG]
     
  4. Barbedwirecat

    Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

    395
    7
    111
    Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I think you will be just fine. You would notice rather quickly if there were any problems as toxins are rather quick to act. I would say they have already passed through.
     
  5. KnightNic

    KnightNic Out Of The Brooder

    26
    0
    32
    Sep 9, 2011
    Whew! Thank-you [​IMG]

    I have definately learnt my lesson!
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by