Fed my girls some baby mice.......Ewwwwww!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gabby3535, Sep 3, 2009.

1. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was mowing yesterday, and, by mistake, ran over a momma field mouse and her 4 newborn babies.
    Momma was killed, but the tiny babies were still quite alive........wiggling around, pink, with eyes still shut.
    Obviously, they were now going to either die on their own, or be eaten by something.
    So I picked them up, told them I was sorry to be doing this, and gave them to the chickens!

WhooHooo! Mouse popcorn!!!
    They love, Love, LOVED them!!!!

EWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.............

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

I know! They love them but it still grosses me out, too!

Shelly

3. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    [​IMG] I've seen my chickens chase and catch mice. I worry about disease so I keep my mouse problem under control but every so often one sneaks in.

4. COOL !!

I have two barn kittens that come into the chicken house with me at night.

The chickens are finally getting used to them being around.

They have been catching and eating a few small mice and I am glad to see it.

I have only seen one hen catch and eat a small mouse, but she was running around the place so darn proud of herself.

5. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

our dachshund likes it when we clean the barn in the spring. Every time we uncover a nest of those wrigling pink things she dives in like its a bowl of jelly beans. SO gross, I dont let the kids be in there when we do that. Ugh gag...

6. karl lutz

karl lutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    I feed my chickens a frog every day. they love it and compete very hard for the tasty little frog.

7. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Gross! I hope they died quickly! That is truly disgusting!

8. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    I had to put my lunch down after reading this thread! Yuck. Good protein though [​IMG].

9. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Ugh... and the chickens kiss you with those lips of theirs?!?!? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We use 55 gal drums cut in half for nesting boxes and the mice ALWAYS make nests under them. About every 2 weeks my 4 year old makes me move the barrels so SHE can collect all the baby mice. I try to always have them already disposed of by the time she gets out there because she will play with those tiny mice for DAYS if I let her and it makes me a little leary of her getting some kind of disease. SO me and the chickens have a mouse party on a regular basis LOL. The last nest I uncovered had 19 babies in it, 19!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by