Fed the babies some meal worms!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by WalkingOnSunshine, Apr 18, 2008.

1. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I bought our 14 day old babies some meal worms. We have 32 babies and I was having a hard time getting to bond with all of them, so I thought I'd give them a reason to come to me. I also bought them some parakeet grit in case they wanted it.

It was the funniest thing that I ever saw! After the first brave soul got up the courage to approach my hand and took the first meal worm, the biggest, loudest chase you've ever seen was ON!

Once they all figured out that my hand held something good, they were all crowding around and jumping on my hand to get some.

I guess the experiment to get them to be less fearful worked--now my biggest problem is them trying to fly out of the brooder to get to me! Time to finish the brooder lid. [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's so exciting isn't it! Enjoy them when they are little. They grow so fast!

3. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Mine loved the mealworms too! Now they are addicted to plain pie crust too! I tried regular worms, they play with them occasionally, but not with great interest yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by