FED THE CHICKS CRICKETS!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DLS, Apr 22, 2008.

1. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

They have been out in the yard all day for a week today.So they are pretty familiar on what is there & what should not be.We were out & I bought a box full of fishing crickets today. YOU ain't ever seen any thing funnier that 24, 4 week old chickens chasing 100 live crickets in THERE yard. I thought I would bust a gut.. = BAD DAY TO BE A CRICKET!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  2. DLS

ain't non of yall fed chicks crickets?

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Haven't had to. We have crane flies real bad right now (look like giant skeeters). I've been busting a gut watching my peeps climb all over each other trying to catch flying bugs for FREE! Too too funny.

Even funnier was watching them back away from the tent caterpillars last Friday. Guess those were considered big enough to be 'threatening' [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. DLS

The biggest fight I saw was one caught a WASP! the chase was on! dang If they didn't eat it! must be BEES are good eating [​IMG]

5. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    My big girls seem to like them. My chicks are just over 2 weeks old, so they aren't outside full time yet.

6. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    We gave ours cricketts on Sunday afternoon... FUNNY!!! Once they figured out that the cricketts were food, I think Pinoccio got 9 or 10 of them.. and my tiny Bob ate the biggest one in the bunch!! I was amazed she could even swallow it!!

7. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    My son caught a cricket yesterday and gave it to our 14 3 week old chicks. None knew what to do with it. It hopped all over them! Finally one killed it and left it for dead.

8. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    At least they killed it!
    Watching my babes back away from a caterpillar made me wish I had a video camera! Ever watch little kids trying to avoid a wave at the beach? That's what these peeps looked like. "EEK! it's touching my toes!" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My SO thought I was just being sweet by volunteering to mow the lawn yesterday. Not uh! I was mowing and catching crickets I stirred up at the same time. The chicks had a blast with em. Late last night I saw one cricket come out of hiding and try to sneak out of their pen. Didn't make it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by