Federal law no more Medicated starter

greghost

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2017
Southern NJ
I Talked to my feed supplier and was told that they passed a federal law,that no more medicated chick starter .Anyone else hear of this?

The problem with federal law is the writing is too winded for anyone to bother reading it.

Medicated starter is not on the ban list to my knowledge but that does not stop your local supplier from assuming it is and discontinuing stock. There are many products that various stores are discontinuing from sheer assumption and fear of being stuck with unsalable stock so don't order more.

Medicated starter should NOT be on the ban list. It has a thiamine blocker, not an antibiotic. Doesn't matter to me as I do not use medicated starter anyway, not since I discovered that it is of very limited use in stopping coccidiosis anyway, especially in warm, humid climates. The Feds are, again, overreaching. I'm pretty darn sick of all the controls and restrictions lately.

It could be that some folks are mistaken about that the "medicated" part means. It is only medicated against a protozoan that causes coccidiosis, starves it out by blocking the B vitamin that it feeds on.

Last edited:
So since I'm new I will apologise in advance if this was already discussed to death...
1f607.png
How do y'all feel about medicated vs organic starter? And please mention why as I'd like to learn about that.

Back
Top Bottom