1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

feed 10 wk old hens layer feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OHhappychicks, Jul 24, 2010.

1. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Crowing

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Can I feed my 10 wk old hens layer mash? I had to move them in with my older hens to get them away from the 9 roosters. I didn't think about the feed. They have been eating medicated starter [​IMG]. Just need to know if they can handle layer mash. Thanks![​IMG]

2. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Yes, they should do fine on it.

3. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Crowing

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Thank you![​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's very early to feed layer feed to those chicks. Way too much calcium!! Get an all purpose chicken feed like Flock Raiser and put an oyster shell feeder in there with the hens until the chicks get past 17 weeks old.

5. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Crowing

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    thank you speckeledhen![​IMG] If I can get rid of my roosters this weekend, I will put them back in the other pen with their normal feed.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sounds like a plan. It won't kill them to get some of the layers feed for a day or two, but long term, it's definitely not the best thing for them to be eating at ten weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by