Feed a newly hatched duckling food?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BunnyStyles, Nov 24, 2014.

1. BunnyStyles

BunnyStyles Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2014
    Hey guys as some of you know, i will be having 3 ducks in the next one-two days and i want to be prepared, should i give newly hatched ducklings food or no? also should i put a small container of water near them? i think i should, like so they can have a drink. also there are a few more eggs under my girl which are on day day 16 i think, the reason for that is bc my other duck ryan was broody but instead of keeping them warm, she put them on the side of her, should i take the ducklings away from Charlie so she can hatch out the other ones? i dont want charlie abandoning them and i dont have an incubator...or should i just keep the ducklings with charlie?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    For a small number of ducklings I like this waterer You can put it on top of a try to contain any slashed out by mama. [​IMG]but it keeps ducklings from climbing into and getting chilled .After 24 hrs I always put feed close by with water so mama can show babies where it is. So you want to give Charlie the eggs are are pipping now is that what your asking? and take the eggs that are on day 16 away? Who is sitting on the eggs that have pipped?sorry if I sound confused it's still early. lol

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  3. BunnyStyles

Aug 16, 2014
    still early, **** what time is it near you haha :) Charlie is sitting on 13 eggs, 10 are on day 16, and the other 3 will be hatching in two days, and when those 3 hatch should i take them away from charlie so she will keep sitting on the eggs that are on day 16? ive heard some broody ducks leave the eggs that dont hatch and i dont want that with these ones. OR should i just keep the ducklings that are about to hatch with charlie while she sits on the other eggs?

4. BunnyStyles

Aug 16, 2014
    also cute bloody ducklings right there awwwwwwww

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's 7:45 am here now. Yes I'd take the first to hatch or most likely after they are about 3 days old she'll get up and leave the nest. Brooding 3 will be a piece of cake. and alot of fun.

Where are you? when i was a kid I had a friend named Bunny [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  6. BunnyStyles

Aug 16, 2014
    I'm in australia
    I'm in Australia :D you? and nice [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    USA. No wonder your hatching ducks. almost summer there.
    Yes Bunny lived right down the street from me, we went to grade school and Jr. high together. Only other Bunny I have ever known till now. [​IMG]

8. BunnyStyles

Aug 16, 2014
    Nice USA :D i have soooo many friends from there haha, and yeah under 10 days till summer :D and nice, and yay!! :D ahah :)

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have pen pals from all over thanks to BYC

10. MrsObeed

MrsObeed Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2014
    What type of ducks do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by