1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feed advice please

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Zafina, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Zafina

Zafina Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Hi all

We'll as title says I need a little advice myself and my wife are new to raising chickens and everything so far has been a real learning curve however I'm finding I need a little advice as my girls aren't eating there layers pellets we bought them a few weeks back and have been busy building ad dons to the coop we bought ( rip off btw lol won't buy a ready made one again) we have not long had our ladies and reading this forum before buying them I did try to ask the guy what he was feeding them as to give them the same thing how ever he gave me a sack of mixed corn and said they will be fine with this but reading so many posts here that didn't sound right as I thought it was only to be given as an evening treat to see them till next morning I have tried offering layers pellets but there not that interested and I'm pretty sure one of the girls has lost a little weight since I stopped giving them corn also she was laying every day for the first week we had them and has not laid for a week I am also giving them acv with garlic 2 times a week and seaweed supplement in there feed thing is should I keep giving pellets or maybe mix pellets with corn for longer to try ween them off lol? I hung a cabbage up in there run as I've read a lot they enjoy it and keeps them amused however it was gone 2 days later and I only have the 2 girls:/ this makes me think there hungry any advice will be welcome to a newbie. Sorry about my punctuation I'm rubbish at typing

Cheers .

2. Cooper Farms

Cooper Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    how old r they

3. Zafina

Feb 2, 2014
    Edinburgh Scotland
    The chap I bought them from said there 26 weeks

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    The corn should be fed as only a treat, not their main diet. Yes, they all love it and will pass up the balanced and nutritious pellets when you give them both. Just give them corn as a bed time snack. Fill their feeders with the pellets. They will eat them eventually. Some chickens have a preference of crumbles over pellets so you can try wetting down some in a separate bowl and see if they eat it that way. Cabbage is mostly water so it takes quite a bit for them to fill up on that. I would only give them about 1/4 head to keep them eating their pellets. Them eating the entire head doesn't mean they are starving. Just means it's good eating.

You can always try a different brand of feed if they continue to not eat.

5. Zafina

Feb 2, 2014
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Ok we'll thank you for that another thing I realy would like to ask is I want to treat my girls with stuff but don't want to be stupid how often should I give treats aside from there evening corn? I've been giving them a few grapes and some melon every other day and the odd small hand full of mealworms.

Thanks again:D

6. Cooper Farms

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    I feed r flock of orotund fifty table scrapes every day

7. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    You can give treats every day. The general rule is what they can clean up in 10 minutes or no more than 20% of the diet. That's all relative however. If you are giving treats that are nutritious than I wouldn't worry too much. If you are giving them bread and potato chips (mine's favorite junk food) than limit it.

8. Cooper Farms

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    That's veary true u can make chickens just like any pets veary fat and I have seen that in other peoples

9. Zafina

Feb 2, 2014
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Ok that's great I'm not giving them junk food just fruit and mealworms although 1 of my girls realy isn't interested in dried meal worms so I might get some live ones for her the only thing that is bothering me now is her sudden stop in eggs she laid every day for a week after we got her now nothing for 2 weeks but I'll make another thread in the right forum for that.

Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by