1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feed advice

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BJnJenny, Oct 16, 2012.

1. BJnJenny

BJnJenny Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2012
    I am trying to figure costs out on feeding the chickens per a month so I can know the amount we are able to afford to feed. Unfortunatley I am having great difficulty finding any feed prices online (except for TSC) and I assume they are only show the premium feeds instead of the lower priced ones. If I were to raise say 10-15 layers and about 5-8 meat chickens what type of feed do I need and how much do I feed them each day? I plan to keep the layers in a seperate coop than the others and none will be free range do to the predators in area. Any help would be appreciated! thanks!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Feed them all free choice. For 10-15 layers you would go through a 50 pound bag every 2 1/2 weeks or so. You may be able to get by on 3 weeks per bag. That would be for 15 rather than 10. I went through 1 bag every 2 weeks for 20 birds through winter last year. Now I have too many birds to count (I'll attempt when I stop hatching), but I go through 6 bags every 2 weeks :duc

3. aoxa

Also feed is usually around $15 give or take a couple dollars depending on location. So $30 a month for 400 + eggs a month. Sell those eggs for $4 a dozen - lets just say you have 32 dozen a month = $98 after expenses. This is assuming each laying bird lays 25 eggs a month (if you have Red Sex Links - they rarely take a day off in my experience).

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I congratulate you on your studied approach. TSC prices are the real prices. They don't have anything cheaper than what you see. Feed costs have skyrocketed and the only real way to lower your feed costs on purchased feeds is to locate a local, old fashioned feed mill. These are not very common in a non-agricultural area.

I'm feeding approximately the same number of birds you are thinking about, as we are wintering over 20 adults birds, all layers, except for the rooster. I pay $20 for 100 pounds of layer mash from a local mill. TSC prices are almost double that, just saying. During the late fall through early spring months, the 20 birds will consume that 100# in just short of a month. That is real information for you and should prove helpful, I trust.

The variables then come into play. Chicks eat less when they are small. Broilers consumer a lot of feed, but live only 9-10 weeks before being processed. How much you can pasture them in good weather months needs to be computed, as ranging on grass, eating bugs, etc can reduce feed bills considerably.

My advice might be this. Find a local feed mill. That should be your very first step in preparing your budget. Otherwise, your budget allowances will very, very different.

1 person likes this.
  5. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    There is a mill in Fla. can't think of the name yet i try to find it.

6. aoxa

If only I could buy like you Fred!

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If only I could sell eggs for $4 like you aoxa!!! LOL

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  8. wekiva bird

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    I get $3 for mine it would be nice to get 4

9. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop

10. wekiva bird

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    I found the name it is HILLANDALE FARMS, INC in Lake Butler, Fla.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by