Feed \ Age question..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fluffyxx, Apr 17, 2012.

1. fluffyxx

fluffyxx Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    So I just got my little ones on Thursday. The girl at TSC said that they were 1 week old. At what age do the start sprouting out their new feathers? Mine are starting to get some, and it seems like my other chicks were older than 2 weeks getting feathers, could be very wrong though, as it has been a while since baby chicks were in my household. Hah.

Also, should I add anything to their food at any point? I am currently feeding them the starter feed and I believe the bag said to feed that until 8 weeks and then to move onto the next one. My dad said that our other chicks, once they started getting their big feathers, had some bald spots. He said he didn't know if it was something that was missing in their diet or if it was due to them pecking each other. I don't remember them having bald spots, but I was much younger then.

Also, last question, when can I start taking them out to play in the grass? I would of course have them enclosed in something to keep them safe and stay with them the whole time. But, I was curious as to what age or temperature that would be okay, and for how long-ish? If I let them go outside should I buy some gravel for them to have?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds like you're doing fine. Here I feed a starter/grower combo feed til point of lay, because that's what the feed stores have. I'd start taking them out right now. If a mama hen were raising them, she'd have them out foraging at 3 days or so. They will let you know by their behavior if they get too chilled. You might lay a cardboard box or something on its side for them to run into if they want. They will love being on the ground, even for a short period, and will be a lot more content. Even at that age if it's around 70 and sunny they should be fine.

Some experienced chicken keepers consider them feathered enough at 3 weeks for the coop, though a stricter approach is 6 to 8 weeks. When you mostly see feathers rather than down, they should be safe from weather, at least milder weather. Mine have definitely looked a bit bald in spots when the down falls out and is gradually replaced by feathers.

3. fluffyxx

Apr 11, 2012
    Thank you for the reply. =)

I am so excited to take them outside, I think they will have a blast. It is so cute to watch them scratch around in their brooder. I'm also hoping my dog pen that I am planning on putting them in will fit me inside with them. I'm trying to get them used to me, and to get them a little more tame. Haha.

Do I need to get some chick grit if they go outside and eat the grass and such?

4. fluffyxx

Apr 11, 2012
    Just wanting to "bump" this back to the top.

Still wanting to know if I should get some chick grit if they go out for some yard fun. =)

5. chickendancers4

chickendancers4 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    Schwenksville, PA
    As far as giving them grit. If they are a week old you can give them grit now and "treats" along with starter food. I have a bowl of "chick grit" in the brooder with my 3 week old chicks. I also throw a little in the brooder for them to "scratch at". I give them hard boiled eggs they LOVE it I also gave them cooked spaghetti they went CRAZY!! It was like watching a game of keep away. Giving grit before going outside is a good idea. They are so much fun to watch outside enjoy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by