Feed all over the place!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommyofthreewithchicks, Jul 22, 2010.

1. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] So my week old chicks are making a mess with their feed. [​IMG]

Does anyone else have this problem and how do I solve it?

I have the quart jar feeders. Am I just giving them too much food?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Do your feeder trays have the little holes that are just big enough for chick heads to fit into? That way it's pretty difficult for them to scatter feed.

3. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Yes it is the kind with holes- but they seem to get it all over their brooder box.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I use a pan a little larger then the base of the feeder to catch the feed. Then just recycle back into their feed again and again.

This catch pan is the clear ones that you buy to put under a flower pot.
    [​IMG]

Matt

Edited to add that I also use frisbees. Anything that is a little larger and has a 3/4 to 1 inch lip will work.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  5. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    Great idea Matt. I think I'll need to buy a couple frisbees.

6. BrewedInNh

BrewedInNh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Southern NH
    We had the mason jar type of feeders, except they were made of plastic. By the time our chicks were 3 weeks old they had learned how to tip a feeder on its side so the feed could spill out everywhere. [​IMG] They even learned how to take the base of the feeder apart. [​IMG]

I finally built one out of scrap plywood with a big enough base that I'm hoping they won't tip it over.

7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    make them a suet cake. [​IMG]

8. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    Wow so glad I read this thread...having the same problem with my keets. Thanks Matt for the great idea!!

9. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    If you place the feeder on blocks so that it is at least shoulder high (body wing joint) when the chick stands it is a lot harder for them to bill out the feed.

Stopping the tipping of the feeder only takes a drill and a screw to secure the feeder base to the wooden block.

The same can be done with the waterer (except for the drill and screw part) to really cut down on litter and water wicking issues.

Please note my definition of a wooden block is a piece (or several pieces) of wood that is (or can be joined to be) sturdy not a leftover piece of 2x4.

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Yeah.......those feeders are designed by the feed producers-----to spill as much feed as possible so you will be back soon to buy more feed.
    I've done the same as a previous poster, I cut out the bottom of plastic buckets to set the feeder jar in such that the rim of the plastic bucket is above the level of the feeder holes. I have even nestled three increasing sized "retainers" to make rings of feed catch.
    You can see in this pic, the feeder nestled to retain the feed in the cage.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by