1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feed and Amounts HELP!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Libertyrose03, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Libertyrose03

Libertyrose03 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2015
    Texas
    I was wondering how much a chick eats in a day, and how much a full grown chicken eats in a day. And also where you get you feed from and the cost? If anyone has any tips on making the cost any cheaper all advise is appreciated![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    I buy my layer food and chick food at our local TSC around once every two weeks (I get two fifty pound bags for layer feed). My 35 or so adult chickens eat around 100 lbs every two weeks, so around 200 lbs a month. They also do a ton of foraging, enjoy treats of left-over cat food, scrambled eggs, bread, ect, and a few of them are bantams.
    My chicks are fed a few times a day, but it is ideal to let them have free-choice the first couple weeks of life. They used a bag in about two weeks as well, but there bag is only like 25 lbs and there are 18 of them (they are three weeks old now). They get some treats, but are still in the brooder, so don't forage.

The layer feed costs around $15 (USD) for 50 lbs.

I hope this helps. Best of luck![​IMG]

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    My 12 chicks went through about 1 5 lb bag a week for the first 3 weeks. By the time they were 8 weeks old, a 25lb bag would last a few weeks. I feed flock raiser now and spend $18 for a 50lb bag once a month. A 5 lb bag of crushed oyster shell cost $6 and will last about a month. They are all beautiful, healthy birds and the girls are producing great. I have never tried to cut back on how much feed they get. I fill two trough style feeders in the morning and refill them as needed throughout the day. They also have a vacant field next door with many varieties of grasses, my garden, several patches of wild berries, and a few patches of forest to utilize for foraging. Some days, my chickens eat hardly any feed. Other days I have to refill feeders. Limiting feed for chicks or actively laying birds is never a good idea.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  4. Libertyrose03

Jul 9, 2015
    Texas
    Thank you for all the helpful advise!

5. Libertyrose03

Jul 9, 2015
    Texas
    Do any of you use purina? Maybe you could tell me if you recommend it.

6. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    I used to use purina until I found a cheaper brand. It worked fine for me!

1 person likes this.
  7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I used both purina chick starter and flock raiser. It's one of the only feeds I can consistently find around my area. Ordering a bulk organic feed and shipping it for only my dozen chickens isn't really cost effective, and I'm not driving two hours to pick up chicken feed.

1 person likes this.
  8. Libertyrose03

Jul 9, 2015
    Texas
    about how much was it for a 100lb bag?

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I've never actually seen a 100lb bag. The biggest I've ever seen is 50 lbs. Purina flock raiser is about $18 a bag, their layer feed runs about $16 where I am. How much you pay depends on where you are, and what individual stores in your area are charging. It's not going to cost the same everywhere.

10. Libertyrose03

Jul 9, 2015
    Texas
    Thanks! We have a store here that sells it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by