Feed anything special to sick birds?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gallus_domesticus, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Gallus_domesticus

Gallus_domesticus Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    Arizona
    I am curious as to what y'all add to feed for birds that are ill/injured/under the weather. Hard-boiled egg? Warm porridge made from regular feed? What is your special recipe for birds that need extra nutritional TLC?

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I like scrambled eggs and occasionally for birds that nothing else will tempt a good quality wet cat food--haven't had one yet that can resist that! Poly-visol without iron is usually a good bet (except for cocci) to give a run down bird a boost too.

3. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    what is the poly visol dose?

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I give two drops along the side of the beak 2x a day for a standard size hen. I've read where others give 3 drops, I think it's one of those things that is pretty forgiving as long as you don't go crazy with it. Just don't use it when you're treating for cocci since the protazoa thrives on the B vits and it will actually make things worse. I've also put the drops in a small amount of wet cat food (1/2 tsp. or so) for birds that are stressed out from being handled.

5. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by