Feed as brooder bedding?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mirandaleecon, Feb 12, 2015.

1. mirandaleecon

mirandaleecon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    Hello! I was just curious if anyone has ever used chicken crumbles as bedding in their brooders? When I got my first 3 day old chicks, I tried everything to find something that worked well and was affordable. I tried pine shavings, which made a mess everywhere and they kept eating them (probably harmless but it still made me nervous). I tried newspaper which was so messy and later found out that can cause splayed leg. Tried papertowels and they would 'dig' until the papertowel was bunched up to one side...

Anyways, one day I thought "well they are eating every bedding I put in there, why not just try the feed itself". And it actually worked great. Almost like kitty litter. Well I'm trying to hatch some duck eggs now and was curious if there was any reason I haven't thought of, to not use feed as their bedding?

2. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    Coarse pine shavings or hay or straw are good and they can't eat them. As far as using food I would not. It will spoil and teach them to eat everything on the ground vs. being selective. Sounds like a recipe for coccidiosis

3. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Feed is going to turn into a moldy mess.

I raise all mine on pine shavings - I'm not sure why some people seem to have so much trouble with them - I've never had a problem.

Also - ducklings make a mess - they're way worse than chicks - everything will be wet.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  4. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    Correction - ducklings ARE a mess [​IMG]

5. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    Haven't raised any yet so I'm wondering why ducklings are more messy than chicks?

6. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Mostly, they wash their food. They'll take a mouthful of food, run over to your water dish, swish it all around, splash everywhere, etc. They'll leave about half the food in the water and half the water on the bedding.

7. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    x2. You'll end up with a mess and probably coccidiosis too.

8. mirandaleecon

mirandaleecon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    Good points. I was thinking as long as I change it often enough it wouldn't be an issue but it's not worth the chance!

Good news, I just candled the eggs (day 7) and every one (15 total!)was fertilized although one had a blood ring already. I wasn't sure how it would work out because my drake is a muscovy and I have one pekin, one khaki cambell and 2 muscovy females. Looking good so far!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by