feed bag string wrapped on Silkie foot

ChickieAnnD

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 13, 2014
One of my silkie hens got a feed bag string wrapped on her foot. I cut it off (the string) but she is not standing up on them is there something I can do to help her. she may not have feeling in them at the moment. I won't go in to how many times I've told my family NOT to leave feed bags inside the pen. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hopefully circulation was not cut off for too long. You might try soaking her feet in warm water to hopefully increase circulation.

I've had that happen a couple of times and it can be a problem. It seems wherever there is string, twine, etc, they will find it and get wrapped up in it. Anyway, you need to try to make sure that no string has become imbedded in her leg. It can get that way very easily, and it is not necessarily obvious. Soaking is a very good suggestion, soak in warm water with some Epsom salts. Give her a baby aspirin crushed up in a treat two to three times a day. And if you can, keep her in a small cage or pen so she can rest the sore leg for a couple of days. She should regain feeling in it eventually and resume walking on it.

Thank you so much for the advice. I had first looked to see what kind of circulation a chicken might have in their legs and couldn't find anything. But much to my relief she is up and around as if nothing happened. I did check to make sure string didn't get embedded but I'm sure she didn't have the string on long enough for that. she is up and scratching and eating. I even saw her hop on a small stick in the pen and then down. So glad that I saw her when I did.

When I was a kid I was camping with my older brother and his family. I fell as sleep with the elastic cuffs of my sweat shirt pushed up over my biceps. When I woke up the next morning my arms where swollen.

My brother cut the elastic and when the blood flow returned to my arms... the pain was terrible.

My brother felt like dog doo.

Back
Top Bottom