Feed brands DO make a difference

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TheSpiceGirls, Aug 11, 2011.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I thought this was interesting enough to share.

I raised 4 baby chicks on Nutrena Nature Wise medicated chick started. They graduated to Nutrena Nature Wise Grower Finisher and ultimately to Nutrena Nature Wise Layer Rations.

When they finished that last bag, I bought another bag but this one said Nutrena Country Feed layer crumbles on the bag. And since it was different, I mixed in the new with the old to ease them into the new bag.

Well, the feed level started going down slower and slower until they were barely eating their feed. They were becoming more aggressive for treats and LOUD. REALLY LOUD. I became concerned when they really acted like they were just ravenous. I know that chickens always act like they are hungry but this was different. And I was dolling out tons of treats to try and keep them quiet.

So I picked up a few 5 lb. sacks of different feeds last weekend. I set out different bowls of the new feeds and one was clearly a favorite. They are gobbling up this new feed. After two days, it was so obvious that they liked this new feed that I dumped the old and refilled their feeder w/ the new favorite.

And the change in their behavior is amazing. They are SO much calmer and quieter. They are back to being the sweet birds I raised. Curious and chatty. And egg production is WAY up.

My point is not to dis one brand or recommend another. But to mention that while they say chickens don't have a good sense of taste, I beg to differ. If you notice a change in behavior after switching feeds, it might be worth trying something else. I've found a number of feed stores that sell 5 lb. sacks of feed making it easy and affordable to try different brands before committing to one.

2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Don't keep us in suspense! What was the feed they liked?

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    King brand poultry feed. It's made in California.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by