1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feed Change...maybe?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggcamefirst, Jun 4, 2011.

1. eggcamefirst

eggcamefirst Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    I have to go back to the store soon to get more food. Last time I grabbed a small bag of chick food that was medicated. I have 4 chicks that are a little over a week old and 3 chicks that are four days old. Should I get the same feed that I did before in a larger quantity (if they sell it)? Or can I switch feeds to another chick starter that isn't medicated? Will it be rough on them to switch?

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use medicated Starter/Grower. I feed it to the birds until I get my first egg then I switch over to Layer. If I have any Starter/Grower or Grower left over when I get my first egg, I mix in the leftover feed with the Layer feed. I have never had any problems. The amprollium in the Starter or Starter/Grower helps in the chicks development in their resistance to cocci. It is sulfa based. There is only a problem eating the eggs layed by the birds that have had the medicated feed when they start to lay if you have any allergies to Sulfa. I do use layer pellets as I find the birds waste less.

3. eggcamefirst

Mar 14, 2010
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Do you give the chicks grit for that feed, or do they not need it?

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    No they do not need grit unless you feed them treats or things other than their regular feed such as scratch.

5. eggcamefirst

Mar 14, 2010
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    If I put chicks out in the yard for a few minutes per day, will they eat something they can't process? Or will they pick up grit they can find as needed?

6. eggcamefirst

Mar 14, 2010
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    At what age should I switch the feeder in the brooder to the larger size? The seven chicks are between 2 and 3 weeks old and it seems they go through food and water a lot faster now....

7. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This was posted in another thread and someone else there said the amprolium is NOT sulfa based. Do you have a link that says it is? I really would like to know as I am allergic to sulfa.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by