Feed Change...maybe?

eggcamefirst

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Piedmont Triad, NC
I have to go back to the store soon to get more food. Last time I grabbed a small bag of chick food that was medicated. I have 4 chicks that are a little over a week old and 3 chicks that are four days old. Should I get the same feed that I did before in a larger quantity (if they sell it)? Or can I switch feeds to another chick starter that isn't medicated? Will it be rough on them to switch?

I use medicated Starter/Grower. I feed it to the birds until I get my first egg then I switch over to Layer. If I have any Starter/Grower or Grower left over when I get my first egg, I mix in the leftover feed with the Layer feed. I have never had any problems. The amprollium in the Starter or Starter/Grower helps in the chicks development in their resistance to cocci. It is sulfa based. There is only a problem eating the eggs layed by the birds that have had the medicated feed when they start to lay if you have any allergies to Sulfa. I do use layer pellets as I find the birds waste less.

No they do not need grit unless you feed them treats or things other than their regular feed such as scratch.

If I put chicks out in the yard for a few minutes per day, will they eat something they can't process? Or will they pick up grit they can find as needed?

At what age should I switch the feeder in the brooder to the larger size? The seven chicks are between 2 and 3 weeks old and it seems they go through food and water a lot faster now....

Quote:
This was posted in another thread and someone else there said the amprolium is NOT sulfa based. Do you have a link that says it is? I really would like to know as I am allergic to sulfa.

Back
Top Bottom