Feed change

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by calmom2, Oct 11, 2016.

1. calmom2

calmom2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Wondering if anyone has had any luck changing layer food from crumbles to pellets?
    I just discovered pellets today at feed store, bright it home and my girls are looking at me like I'm crazy. Should I just let them deal with it until they get hungry enough, they will adjust?
    Thanks

2. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    I've never had any problems. Maybe you could mix them both together So they get used to them.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Mine are the same way. You might wean them away from crumbles by adding the pellets to the crumbles...a little higher ratio of pellets each day. They'll adapt. I like pellets since they don't seem to waste as much.

4. barneveldrerman

barneveldrerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens don't like change, I would suggest mixing the two together, then slowly get them off the crumbles.

Hope the helped and best of luck.:cool: I

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I feed mine the layer pellets with Grower crumble at a 50/50 ratio till my birds are a year old..Oyster shell and granite grit free choice in another bowl...Grower for the extra protein so they do not peck or eat feathers...TREATS AT 5%..Meaning a Tablespoon per Bird a day...My birds get treats once or twice a week...Happy healthy Chickens...

Cheers!

6. calmom2

Mar 23, 2016
    Thanks everyone that's exactly what I did mixed it up. These pellets seem so much more cost efficient wish I would of known about it before. I'll keep mixing till they get it down. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

We all learn as we go....Best of luck!

Cheers!

8. calmom2

Mar 23, 2016
    thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by