feed chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redeye roy, May 10, 2011.

1. redeye roy

redeye roy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    do you have feed in coop or run at all time or do i need to feed at different times of the day?

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I self feed. I have a hanging feeder that I got off of ebay years ago. It holds about 15 pounds of feed. I fill it up about once or twice a week depending on the weather. If they get to free range more they obviously eat less.

3. redeye roy

redeye roy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    thanks for reply. my gang don't free randge an i keep a feeder in coop 9weeks an growing like weeds:lol:

4. mons02035

mons02035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Carmel, Maine
    I free choice food and water. I leave it in the coop, they have nothing in the run. I would also suggest that when your girls get older that you switch to pellets, less waste.

5. honda_DT

honda_DT Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    I usually keep my feed out for my chickens all day long in a fall feeder that adds more once the chickens start eating. But recently the bottom broke off the wall feeder so all the feed poured onto the ground. So now i just put the food in a bucket and let them eat twice daily.

6. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I have a large free feeder for 20 birds and they seem to do great with it. I leave it in all the time for my eggers but my meaties only get food during the day and I take it out when I do the night feeding since they can get sick if they eat too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by