Feed consumtion of jersey giants.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chris Barletter, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Chris Barletter

Chris Barletter New Egg

Feb 28, 2009
    Does giants eat alot more compared to other breeds?Im looking for an egg producing breed and wondered what breed has the best feed to egg laying ratio.

2. BrackenFarms

BrackenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
  3. Chris Barletter

Chris Barletter New Egg

Feb 28, 2009
    Thanks.Do you have any other suggested breeds in a darker color,say black or brown.

4. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Australorps

5. camalianus

camalianus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    If you want a brown layer go with Sil-Go-Lilnks, Golden Comet, Red or Brown sex link, black sex link, Cinnamon queen, cherry egger, etc. Good lock:D

6. BrackenFarms

BrackenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    i like the australorp it is beautiful and plump but for best egg production (egg/feed ratio) and a darker bird i would say try either the black or redstar sexlink or the RIR (rhode island reds) those three have made a name for themselves in egg production

7. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I second Australorps, they are good foragers , lay in the heat and cold , friendly and great layers.

Nancy

8. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    My RIR's are pretty value-oriented. I get almost an egg every day from all 6 of them, a 50# sack of pellets lasts almost 2 months...the only other food they get is a handful of castoff greens from the grocer in the morning and the rare "going bad" yogurt or leftovers from the fridge. I do try to let them forage when I'm home in the late afternoon, but they only get to do that 3-4 days per week.

And mine continued to lay all winter. We did have a few 3-4 egg days, but usually 5-6 per day...all winter so far.

Since my daughter wants to try something different this year we are ordering Delawares from the feed store. They are supposed to be good layers and hardy in the cold as well.

9. mjane

mjane Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    I have jersey giants and you might not get an egg every day(mine are every other) the eggs are huge! These are your jumbo and extra jumbo eggs. They are very gentle, fairly quiet compared to my other breeds and eating wise don't seem to eat much more than my other chickens do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by