Feed Containers - Thief Proof

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by itgns, Oct 17, 2013.

1. itgns

itgns Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    Central California
    Does anyone have any suggestions for some large feed containers that would be water-proof and thief-proof? I would go with simple garbage cans, but obviously those aren't very good for keeping raccoons or possums out and I'm worried about simple locking mechanisms because raccoons are too smart.

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
  3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    If the cans you are using have the space around the rim, you could drill a hole in either side through the lip of the lid and body of the can so that a metal or PVC rod or pipe could be inserted through both sides. This would probably keep them out of a metal can. You could drill the ends of the rod or pipe so that a cheap carabiner or other clip or spring clip would keep it from being removed.

Chris

4. jstlitlome

jstlitlome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    yknow, I have raccoons out here, but they've never pried off the lid of my simple rubbermaid trash can. I'm not sure why.

Good luck!

Leslie

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Metal trash cans with a bungee cord over the top keeps all the varmints out of my Mom's bird feed.

6. topdycke

topdycke Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Magnolia, Texas
    Metal trash cans with tight fitting lids. Anything plastic can and will be chewed through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by