Feed conversion chart by breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BBUTTER, Mar 1, 2012.

1. BBUTTER

BBUTTER Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Louisiana
    (I accidentally put this in the meaties section and got no replies. Maybe I'll get some here!)

Im looking for a feed conversion chart for a variety of breeds. I want to know the conversion rates of some of the dual purpose breeds. Does anyone have a link to share?

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
  3. BBUTTER

BBUTTER Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Louisiana
    No, I'm looking for info on breeds other than Cornish x. Thanks, though. Am I over-thinking this? I know Cornish X has a 3:1 ratio, so is it that there is just a "general" ratio for all dual purpose breeds? Something like 4:1, or what? I thought there would be a difference among breeds. Example: Dark (traditional) Cornish is a big bird, so I would think it has a better feed ratio than some other breeds.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Since the Ag departments at universities are generally the ones who do controlled studies on feed conversion, and dual purpose aren't raised for meat commercially, you are probably going to have to get that information from individuals.

You won't get a true feed conversion rate, just what one person got with their birds under their growing conditions.

Your very best option is to do a controlled study for yourself with the breeds that interest you and under the conditions that you use to raise your own meat birds. Carefully weigh each serving of feed and keep track of which bird is eating it. Weigh the bird often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by