1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feed costs are they going up everywhere?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Lordofchickens 86, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Lordofchickens 86

Lordofchickens 86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    The Burg FL
    Feed just jumped from 12.50 to 13.50 for 50pounds of layer pellets and 13.00 to 14.00 for chick feed. they told me it was because corn prices rose again.[​IMG] can we please stop paying farmers not to grow corn . this is stupid. i was just wondering if they went up all over the place?[​IMG] any info would be appreciated:D

2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    yep, gone up here too.

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Our prices are higher than that, more like $15-16 a bag.

4. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Wow! I pay about $10.00 a bag.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Commodities are traded on markets around the world. Yes, those prices are set every day, at the speed of light. Just like the Stock Market.

Over the past three years, we've witnessed a steady, upward march of corn and soybeans. A high tide raises all boats. Cannot have one grain go up and not have it take other grains with it. Otherwise, folks would just switch, if possible, from corn to say milo.

Long story short, feed costs have skyrocketed over the past few years. How high will go? Will it come down drastically? No one can say any certainty.

I have abandoned pre-packaged, TSC or similar bags of feed of pellets. I simply cannot afford to pay $14 and higher for 50#. I now buy from an Amish mill that is a Hubbard feed mill. I am currently paying $9.50 a 50# of a great quality feed, albeit a mash type. Hens love it. Huge savings.

6. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Fred's Hens :

Commodities are traded on markets around the world. Yes, those prices are set every day, at the speed of light. Just like the Stock Market.

Over the past three years, we've witnessed a steady, upward march of corn and soybeans. A high tide raises all boats. Cannot have one grain go up and not have it take other grains with it. Otherwise, folks would just switch, if possible, from corn to say milo.

Long story short, feed costs have skyrocketed over the past few years. How high will go? Will it come down drastically? No one can say any certainty.

I have abandoned pre-packaged, TSC or similar bags of feed of pellets. I simply cannot afford to pay $14 and higher for 50#. I now buy from an Amish mill that is a Hubbard feed mill. I am currently paying $9.50 a 50# of a great quality feed, albeit a mash type. Hens love it. Huge savings.

That's great, I wish there was an Amish feed mill around here. Good thing that you are supporting the local farmers though.​

7. Lordofchickens 86

Sep 19, 2011
    The Burg FL
    Quote:That's great, I wish there was an Amish feed mill around here. Good thing that you are supporting the local farmers though.

me to i wish i could find something like that localy or grow my own if i had the land to do so. [​IMG]

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:Ask around, look around. If your area is or is near agriculture, chances are really good that there is a feed mill within a distance that a monthly visit would be worthwhile. Cattlemen, poultry, hog or diary farmers aren't buying their feed at Atwoods or TSC, that's all I say about that. Do check things out.

9. ODS-n-ENS FARM

ODS-n-ENS FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    NH
    My local grain store (they own 3 seperate stores in my area) is $14.79 for 50lbs. of Poulin layer and the price goes up weekly. The hardware store a little north from us is only$11.99 for 50lbs. of Poulin layer and that price has been the same all summer. I thought the price would increase when the hardware store got their last shipment but it did not.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  10. Lordofchickens 86

Sep 19, 2011
    The Burg FL
    Fred's Hens :

Quote:Ask around, look around. If your area is or is near agriculture, chances are really good that there is a feed mill within a distance that a monthly visit would be worthwhile. Cattlemen, poultry, hog or diary farmers aren't buying their feed at Atwoods or TSC, that's all I say about that. Do check things out.

this used to be a big farming area but they closed a tyson processing plant and now its up to people like us to keep are local feedstores in buisness. when i moved out here 14 years ago there where 6 feedstores now we are down to 2 i only go to one and that is because we need to keep are small buisness owners in buisness he employes 7 or 8 people in are town but the way things are now i would hate for those folks to lose there jobs. i might look around to see if i can get a little of some grain not corn to cut the laying pellets with.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by