Feed Crushed Egg Shells?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NoSpringChick, May 26, 2008.

1. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    Are you able to save, wash, dry, & crush your egg shells to give to the chickens for extra calcium? I did it a few times and they seems to eat it like a treat, but I thought I would ask all you experts before continuing the practice.

Thanks

2. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    it is a good source of calcium, but an easier way is to buy crushed oyster shell at your feed store and give it free choice. They'll peck at it when they want it.

3. NoSpringChick

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    LOL, I am a composter and I have been collecting the egg shells for over three years now....it's so hard to stop doing something you've done for a long time.

4. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    my mil saves them for me. I have some crushed by the coop. I have seen the guineas eat them a time or two.

5. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have free choice oyster shell and also feed the chickens back their shells crushed as I use them.

6. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I oven-dry and crush mine. They are in a little feeder for free-choice with less waste. My chickens have always seemed to prefer the eggshells to the oyster shell.

7. NoSpringChick

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    My girls love it...I'm glad it's okay to feed it back to them.

8. Dewey101

Dewey101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    Elizabethtown,KY
    yea, I bake mine for 30min at 250, crush em, and they eat the heck out of it,lol

9. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

We just throw ours in the compost pile. No washing or baking.

10. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    This is funny because I was just in the feed shop getting a few things for when I pick up my girls on wednesday, and I mentioned feeding shells. The woman looked at me like I had suggested cannibalism and insisted that my chickens would turn on thier eggs and I would wake up one morning to a masacre. I was buying oyster shells, and plan on offering both. Has anyone had a problem with feeding shells? As a newbie- I can take all the advise I can get!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by