Feed dates -- how old is too old?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by debid, Mar 30, 2017.

1. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I bought a bag of feed today with a March 22 date stamp. This made me very happy. But, I couldn't use my coupon for $2 off Purina because there wasn't a sack fresher than Feb 02 and I'd rather not buy feed going on two months old if I can avoid it. They actually had some from AUGUST still on the shelf. I could see that the problem is restocking new on top of old (there were bags from February directly underneath the one I grabbed). It made me wonder, though. Does feed expire? Is there a date where the fats will go rancid in spite of being bagged in plastic and sitting in a temperature-controlled store? If someone buys that August chick feed (shudder), could their chicks actually get sick or is it preserved somehow and not that big of a deal?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If you talk to a feed store employee, they will tell you it's good for 6 months. If you talk to a published poultry nutrition expert, he will tell you that 6 weeks is the outer limit. I like to be able to use a bag of feed within that 6 week window.

1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Were you at a Tractor Supply? Their inability to stock fresh products is one of the reasons I stopped shopping there. :(

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

Yes. I should probably tag @byclover2. Old Hickory, TN. The August feed was Start & Grow unmedicated. I'd expect they're a pretty high volume store but if they make a habit of just tossing new stock on top, that would explain old product hanging around.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE

6. byclover2

byclover2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks for tagging -- it sounds like they are not following procedures in rotating feed, and we'll reach out to them.

Poultry manufacturer recommendations for shelf life say 2 months up to 4 months is totally fine. If you're in a humid or very wet climate, you might check for any signs of mold, etc.

7. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I only have 5 hens so I look for feed that my girls can consume within 4 months of date on bag. I have 2 six gallon galvanized containers in the storage area of my coop. One for feed, one for scratch grains. They hold 25 pounds of feed/scratch. When empty, I wipe with a paper towel and refill. The half a bag has the air squeezed out and secured with a bag clip,[​IMG] and stored in the coolest room in my house away from sunlight, not the basement, till the container in the coop is empty. I have not had a problem with feed up to 4 months old. Because I only have 5 hens, using feed within 5 weeks of mill date ain't gonna happen. My girls are happy and healthy 1 year olds and I get 32/35 eggs a week. GC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by