Feed; Flock Raiser?

Southern Gardener

Songster
11 Years
May 2, 2008
Louisiana
I'm trying to find out what is the best feed for the Red Broilers I have on order from Ideal. My feed store only carries chick starter and layer feed. The owner said he could get "Flock Raiser" which is 20% protein - not sure who makes it. Has anyone fed their meat birds this?

Thanks.
Joan

Hi! I am feeding my meaties Flock Raiser for the same reason, it is what my local feedstore sells for that purpose. I was about 2 weeks late in starting them on it.

I am sure it is adequate and once we put our birds on it they started filling out REALLY fast and growing in their feathers which had been looking pretty ratty before that.

I know there is probably a better feed for them, some people blend their own, I just don't have that option.

What I plan to do with my next ones is feed them regular chick starter for the first 2-3 weeks and then switch over to the flock raiser.

When feeding them high protein feed you have tolimit them, 12 hours all you can eat available food and then take it away for the night.

I am new to meat birds so I will watch this thread with interest!

Good luck!

Something else I forgot to mention, is I feed them cooked steam-milled milo (sorghum), every morning and they love it.

Cooking it just makes the nutrients more accessible,instead of passing right through them-since they have short guts.

No as far as I can see (having read the entire bag) I don't see any medication in the purina flock raiser.

I think any fast growing bird that's purpose is for meat will need limited food (12 hours on-12 hours off) so they don't grow too fast and end up having a heart attack or problems with their legs.

You might want to use the search feature, I am sure there is a wealth of information on this forum.

Can I tag on a Q? So is amprolium not considered a medication? Cause the purina flock raiser I've seen have that in it, just like the starter...... Just curious? Everyone on here for the most part says no medicated feed, so if amprolium doesn't count it would sure make my hunt easier
lol.png

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, after researching it (and I am no rocket scientist!) aprollium IS technically a medication. It is a coccistat and used to prevent/treat coccidia.

I am curious now to see what folks are feeding their birds, who want their birds to be medication free.

I did talk to a store today willing to special order purina's nonmedicated starter for me and TSC's dumor doesn't have meds in it (least the store here carries that one).

Those are the only two I've seen. Last time we fed game feed and resulted in all 4 chics dying once we put them w/ the other two chickens outside..... we have decided now it probably was cocci cause we raised them on wire
roll.png
live and learn I guess.... This time we are going to start on medicated (since we already bought it) then change after 2 weeks to nonmed. And we are also putting them on the ground this time !!

My feed store carries the Purina Flock Raiser and the guy told me no meds were in it. He said that the meds were in the 25# bags of starter, but not the 50# bags. I looked at Purina's site and did NOT see the amprolium listed as an ingredient (and I know it is on the tag if it's in there).

I do NOT want medication in my birds (if I did, I could just buy the ones from the store) so this is a thread I will also be watching with interest!

Last edited:
frow.gif
I am trying to get started with meat chickens too so I will be watching closely. My feed stores do not carry any broiler feed and didn't seem to willing to order any.
he.gif
They do have gamebird feed which is 23 % and turkey grower which is 30%. Does anyone know what would be the best one? I would be willing to mix my feed if anyone has a recipe they would be willing to share.
hu.gif

Last edited:
I went and found my discarded bag and looked at the tag and I am not finding amprolium listed on it.

This is Purina Mills Flock Raiser Sunfresh Pellet. Is this different than what you are talking about Oceanseve?

If it had medicine in it wouldn't it have to advertise the fact that it did?

This is what the feed store recommended to us. We would order better, if we knew what it was!

I, too, will be watching this thread with interest.

Back
Top Bottom