Feed for 18 & 14 week olds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Freshandsalty, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Freshandsalty

Freshandsalty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    N. Texas
    I need help on which feed to give my chickens. My barred rock is 18 weeks, two of my others are 15 weeks, and two are 14 weeks. Is it ok to start them all on layer or should I wait a few weeks? Thanks for your help, this is my first go round with chickens.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Just continue to feed what you have been feeding. Anything BUT layer. It's really too soon for the younger ones, and because traditional breeds often do not really kick in high out put laying until 22 weeks. Feed one more bag, that ought to buy you a month and you can add 4 weeks onto to everyone's age. At that point, sure. Layer for everyone!! [​IMG][​IMG]

Should some of the older ones begin laying steady, you can offer shells on the side. Those who need the calcium will pick at it.

3. ChickenLove123

ChickenLove123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Fred's Hens :

Should some of the older ones begin laying steady, you can offer shells on the side. Those who need the calcium will pick at it.

That makes a TON of sense! I've been wondering about that for a long time! Thanks! [​IMG]

4. Chickadee55

Chickadee55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:My birds are 16 weeks old and I started rotating the Layer with Starter at about 12 weeks so their bodies would be prepared when time to lay eggs. I just started getting eggs (5 so far), and they are great!!!! Hard shells and today I got my first double yolk. They are very healthy birds. As a rule of thumb I think you are suppose to keep them on starter until they start laying. [​IMG]

5. Freshandsalty

Freshandsalty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    N. Texas
    Thank you all for the replies. I went ahead and bought another bag of starter/grower and some oyster shells so I'll have some when the oldest starts laying. Then in a month or so they'll be ready for the layer pellets. I was kind of worried about soft or thin shells if she doesn't have enough calcium, but I like the idea of just having the oyster shells as a side dish for the layer. Thanks a bunch!

6. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Well, I have all of my different aged chickens mixed in my coop together. Some I don't know how old they are but old enough to have been laying for a year and then I have my teenagers that are about 13 weeks old. I have out medicated chicken mash and layer mash each in different feeders. I figure, eh, they will eat what they eat. And my layers still continue to be excellent layers. So [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by