Feed for 2month old Chickens.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MKKimmen, Aug 1, 2010.

1. MKKimmen

MKKimmen In the Brooder

Is it okay to change our feed for our 2 month old chickens now to the same feed our 5 month olds are on??

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

If it's starter/grower, yes. If the older ones are on layer pellets, the younger ones are too young for that--too much calcium for them. What feed are you using for the 5 month olds?

3. MKKimmen

MKKimmen In the Brooder

The 5 month old's are already on the Laying Feed. So I should have the 2 month old's on the Grower/Finisher then for another couple months then probably right?

4. speckledhen

Yes, they shouldn't be on layer feed until they are about 17-18 weeks old or they lay an egg, ideally. I feed starter/grower till mine are "teenagers".

5. MKKimmen

MKKimmen In the Brooder

Alrighty, Thanks! Thats what we'll do then!

6. speckledhen

A couple weeks early won't be too detrimental, however, 8 weeks old is way too young for layer. Good luck with them!

7. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Songster

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    Oh, I am so confused! My girls will be 8 weeks old on Friday, August 6, and the way I figure it the non-medicated starter will last until about then. I know they are 'way too young for layer, but can I make the switch to some kind of grower ? I've heard there are pellets and there is..erm..forget the other stuff. Any opinions on which way I should go?

8. speckledhen

If you can get plain grower, as opposed to combination starter/grower, do that. If not, they can stay on starter, medicated or not, until laying age. It's made for that.

9. serena763

serena763 In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Just bought a 50lb bag for my 2 month old chickens. The bag is starter and it says to keep them on it for another 2 - 3 months. *shrug*

10. chickendidwhat

chickendidwhat In the Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    How does feeding work when the birds are going to be on pasture? Is there still a need to keep the starter feed going? If so, do you keep your younger birds away from your layers so that they don't eat the layer food?

Seems oddly complicated.

Thanks
    Greg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: