Feed for baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken2004, Feb 20, 2014.

1. chicken2004

chicken2004 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2013

• What feed is best for new chicks?Also can you buy it from tractor supply?

2. Balloonjuice

Balloonjuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX
    I just got my first batch of chicks as well. After reading some "beginning books" on the subject, I decided on 22% protein crumbles. I'm sure Tractor Supply will have something in the 22-24% protein range in crumble form. But if you have a local feed store it will likely be a bit cheaper there.

Good luck with yours. I'm really excited about mine and looking forward to eating eggs from the henhouse around August!!

3. shane709

shane709 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2014
    Missouri
    I got the medicated crumbles, hope that works good!

4. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

just be sure to continue this feed for three weeks after they are moved to their outdoor coop. (At least that's what I've been instructed to do since I couldn't find any non-medicated feed and didn't know you could use flock raiser which leads me to...
    You can feed flock raiser or all flock, or you can buy starter feed. With the flock formulas, they can stay on this for life with oyster shell added on the side for laying hens once they begin laying. This is what I plan on doing since I plan on having other types if birds.

1 person likes this.
  5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes,medicated crumbles is perfect. Guideline for feeding at different ages is: 1-8 weeks - chick starter(medicated or non-medicated) 8-18 weeks - grower/developer,18 weeks and up - layer

Note: I do not use layer as i have several roosters,mine stay on developer crumbles with oyster shells/crushed egg shells on the side. All flock is another choice.

Note:chicks on medicated feed can still have a overload/outbreak of Coccidiosis,do not be fooled into thinking they are safe.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. shane709

Feb 13, 2014
    Missouri
    So they need to be weened off the medicated stuff once outside?

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

You can feed them medicated or non medicated chick starter all they way up until around 18 weeks old or point of lay. You can also switch to an all flock or grower type feed at around 8 weeks. Doesn't really matter. Like ten chicks said, don't get too caught up in the medicated feed hype. It's fine to feed it of course, just don't think that your chicks cannot come down with a case of coccidiosis if they are on medicated feed. They can and often do, you just have to keep a close eye on them regardless what they are eating. It's a very, very good idea to keep Corid on hand whenever you are raising chicks so that you can treat asap if you see symptoms.

2 people like this.
  8. shane709

Feb 13, 2014
    Missouri
    Appreciate the advice, gonna go read up on coccidiosis now

9. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    You can also feed boiled or scrambled eggs to chicks. :D

10. shane709