Feed for baby Guinea's

Randy2010

Songster
Nov 5, 2010
Arden, NC
Hi!, I have raised chickens all my life but this is the first time that I have ever raised Guinea's period and have a few questions.

First-Do I need to feed to medicated starter or non-medicated starter and grower? I have been feeding them non and I'm about out and was just wondering before I went to buy more feed.

Second, I hatched out 30 baby Guinea's out of 40 shipped eggs and I also hatched out around 25 chicks all at the same time. Is it ok to leave them all together or do I need to separate them from the chicks. I don't want one killing the other.

Thanks

This is just my opinion (and believe me I am FULL of them, lol), but since you have so many keets and chicks... I'd go with medicated high protein starter feed, medicated with Amprolium. And keep them all on that at least until the keets are 6 wks old to give them the best start possible. It's fine for them all to share a brooder as long as you have plenty of room in the brooder, and the keets and chicks are all approximately the same size... UNLESS, the breed of chicks you are raising are known to have issues with high protein feed. I don't raise chickens, (Silkies do not count.. lol) so I'm not really chicken knowledgeable as far as which breeds pass the extra protein without any issues and which breeds do develop problems from it. That will be something you'll need to do some research on or ask about over in the chicken forum, here on BYC. Guinea keets however DO need high protein starter feed to thrive and grow to their full potential. They need a game bird, pheasant or turkey start feed with at least 26% protein, free choice. I'd be sure to provide at least 2 good sized chick feeders and 2 waterers for everyone so there is no food/water competition.

Keets also need plenty of brooder space, more so than chicks do, so hopefully your brooder is huge. The keets will feather out and be able to fly within a week or so, so you want to make sure you have a wire top of some kind to keep the keets contained. A red brooder lamp will help with any possible cannibalism issues, but you'll want to monitor everybody to make sure the keets are not pecking at the nostrils or combs on the chicks.

Save yourself grief feed them medicated turkey or gamebird starter. They are very sensitive birds when young and also need higher protein then chicks. Keep them seperate until everyone is fully feathered and even then watch them closely because Guineas can be bullies.

Back
Top Bottom