Feed for chickens that lay earlier than the rest?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vjbakke, Jul 1, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We have gold sex links and doms. I know my gsl are getting close to laying age they are 14 wks old getting their combs in and waddles. However I know the doms are a lot farther away from laying. Should I switch to layer feed when the gsl start laying and have them all eating layer feed or stick with grower feed until all 6 of them are laying?

2. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    From what I have gathered, you should keep them all on their grower until all are laying, but leave oyster shell available at all times. The birds that need the calcium will consume the oyster shell and the others will not.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

First choice is to put the shells on the side and let which ever pullet pick at the shells, if their bodies are calling for calcium. Dead easy solution.
    The other is this. The sex links may begin lay at 17 weeks. Not the least uncommon, while traditional breeds don't often start before 22 weeks.

Make the feed change to layer for all of them at 20 weeks and call it a day. This is no where near as mission critical as it is often made out to be. Yes, the GSL would get their calcium boost a week or two late and the Doms a week or two early. No big deal. ALL commercial feed has calcium, it's just a matter of how much. Trust me, the birds would be just super, duper fine whichever way you choose.

4. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Thanks, I the bag of grower feed should last us until the gsl start laying. I like the idea of switching them all over at 20 wks. By the time we need another bag of feed they should be about that age, so our next bag will be layer feed. If my goldy girls start laying before that I will add the oyster shell then. I can't wait to go out there and find the first egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by