Feed for chicks of Different Ages

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by latb611, Mar 8, 2014.

1. latb611

latb611 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    I have 6 almost 3 week old chicks and 2 almost 1 week Olds and next week I am getting a few more 3 day olds. I know that you are supposed to change their feed as they get older but how does this work when they are different ages?

2. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    I don't know the answer to your question, but here's a reference from the-chicken-chick.com that might help.

STARTER FEED, Day 1 to 8 weeks (Chicks)
    Day-old chicks through 8 weeks old require starter feed containing 20% protein. Starter feed contains the highest percentage of protein a layer will ever consume, which makes sense given their astronomical rate of growth in the first few months of life.

GROWER FEED, 8 weeks to 18 weeks (Teenagers)
    With its higher protein content, starter ration can rush a young pullet's developing body into egg-laying before it's ready. Adolescent chickens (I call them teenagers) should be provided with grower ration containing 16-18% protein, slightly less than starter.

Layer feed should never be fed to chickens younger than 18 weeks as it contains calcium that can permanently damage the kidneys, cause kidney stones, reduce lifetime egg production and shorten a bird's lifespan.

LAYER FEED, 18 weeks and older (The Big Girls)

Layer feed is available in mash, crumble or pellet forms, all of which describe the size of the feed; mash is the smallest, pellets, the largest. Layer feed contains 16-18% protein plus added calcium, which is necessary for eggshell production. Laying hens can be fed layer ration as early as 18 weeks or as late as the arrival of their first egg, but should not be fed to birds younger than 18 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by