feed for feather growth?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ODEY587, Nov 10, 2011.

1. ODEY587

ODEY587 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2011
    is there a certin type of food that will permote healthy feather growth in chickes? fruits veggies ect? also is there vitimens or minerals that they use to premote feather growth in long feather breeds?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I use a high protein gamebird feed (I think its 22% protein), but its pretty pricey, $18.50 for 50lbs in my area. You could also feed meat scraps.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:Yup. Something high in protein.... like ..... chicken!

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Takes more calcium for feather growth as well, which is why we get more threads about "egg eaters" at this time of year as eggs are laid with thinner, more fragile shells and are easily broken and then, naturally, consumed.....might want to actually add OS to their feed during the winter instead of just offering free choice.

5. jacobkelly15

jacobkelly15 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2011
    Phoenix
    turkey grower helps! well sometimes!

6. kimice

kimice Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I bought some rescue chickens who were missing half of their feathers! Posted about the same thing a couple of months ago on this forum. I got some excellent advise from everyone here. What worked for me was the cheapest option! Fed a good layer feed and gave them plain low fat yogurt and crushed up eggs shells almost everyday. Happy to say only a few weeks later all of the girls are fully feathered and ready for the colder weather. Protien and calcium [​IMG]

7. ODEY587

ODEY587 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2011
    Thanks guys

8. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I feed kelp and meat/fat scraps. This year my hens grew the thickest, shiniest coat of feathers I have ever seen and their molt was shorter!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by