Feed for Large Corish X Rocks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Want2BFarmer, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Want2BFarmer

Want2BFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    PA
    I want to grow my Corish X Rocks as large as possible within 10 to 12 weeks. Who has grown these birds past 6 pounds and what feed did you use and when did you start the 12 hours on and 12 hours off.

2. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

We use FAst Grow from the Homestead line of All-Natural feeds from Hubbard Feeds. We use it from start to finish, which is 8 to 12 weeks of age.

Jim

3. barnyardmom

barnyardmom Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    waynesville, OH
    We have always used chick starter from TSC and then moved to finisher. One year our birds hit 10 pounds in 6 weeks, the next year it was all we could do to get them to 6 pounds. We now stick to a routine that gets the birds big and meaty ASAP. Chick starter with boiled eggs for the extra protein, fed twice a day till full. Once they are old enough we let them free range in between feedings. This gets the birds off their lazy bottoms and gives them exercise to build muscle. And of course lots of water available at all times. Then move to a finisher, we stop the boiled eggs and let them have food 24/7. I have been told by several that to much protein with over eating early on can cause weak legs, just what I've heard, not sure if it's true. This is our 10th year with the birds and so far so good.
    dk

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    We feed ours turkey feed, as in turkey starter, turkey grower, and turkey finisher. We can't get broiler feed. We butchered our last batch at 12 weeks and some of them dressed out at over 13 pounds. Some may have been larger. We didn't weigh them all. Oh, we started taking the feed away for 12 hours when they were a week old. We also used McMurray's Broiler Booster in the water. It seems to help with the leg problems.

5. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I use a 16% grower mash mixed with a product called ProvAAL(used in dairy animals) to get it up to 20%.
    I fill their feeders in the morning,if there is no light they won't eat after dark. Lots of fresh water too. Will

6. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    First 2 weeks I fed a medicated chic started then 6 weeks of broiler grower from local feed mill. It was an 18% protein feed. Then finisher for 1 week. Average dressed carcass was 5.5 lbs. and quite tasty. BTW don't forget to soak your meat in salt water for at least 24 before going into freezer. Makes the meat much more tender.

7. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    Quote:Same here- I left food out 24/7. When sun went down they went to sleep. Prepare yourself for many many gallons of water. My 30 were going through about 6 gallons a day.

8. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:Same here- I left food out 24/7. When sun went down they went to sleep. Prepare yourself for many many gallons of water. My 30 were going through about 6 gallons a day.

Nice avatar,now we can put a face to your posts.Wish everybody did that,makes it more friendly I think. Will

9. Want2BFarmer

Want2BFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    PA
    Thanks for all of the great information everyone:D

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:I grew mine a year ago to 13lbs each [​IMG]

They were excellent.

About 2 weeks before the end I loaded them up with corn. Beautiful fat pads inside the chickens and the most beautiful meat.

I rendered the schmaltz for savory pie crusts. Fabulous!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by